Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,887   Online: 998

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon lenses

I've been looking around and you can find Canon glass at very reasonable prices nowdays. What 3 lenses would you recommend for general use? I know that's a lot of glass to cover but there must be three outstanding lenses that cover a great deal of ground without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

I guess it should say FD. FL stuff will work on my manual focus cameras also won't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon fd glass is cheap and good.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can't find a better bargain on a very good all-purpose 50mm lens than the venerable FD 50/1.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    3 lenses - 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5. They will cover most of what you want to do

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    I've been looking around and you can find Canon glass at very reasonable prices nowdays. What 3 lenses would you recommend for general use? I know that's a lot of glass to cover but there must be three outstanding lenses that cover a great deal of ground without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

I guess it should say FD. FL stuff will work on my manual focus cameras also won't it?
    Unless the lenses were mishandled by the previous owner, all Canon prime lenses are very good and usually available for a reasonable price.

But as far as outstanding lenses are concerned, Canon's - just like the other brand's outstanding lenses, do not come cheap. So what is your limit of breaking the bank?

If you don't have an idea what you're looking for, then perhaps a little research would help. Here are a couple of useful links:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The 35-105 f3.5 is a great walk around zoom. Don't confuse it with the f3.5-4.5 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    The 35-105 f3.5 is a great walk around zoom. Don't confuse it with the f3.5-4.5 though.
    I'll second that (even if it does weigh as much as the camera!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I'll second that (even if it does weigh as much as the camera!)
    Nah. Only about half as much (maybe 3/4 as much) as my A-1 with Motor Drive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely look for an f/1.4 50mm in FD or the FL model. The MA power winder has them all beat with 12 AA batteries

Shooter
    35mm
    If I had just a little dough for 3 Canon FD lenses they'd be the 35-105 mentioned several times ( great lens but lousy non-macro close focusing distance ) and a 50mm (1.4, 1.8, both are great) and then I'd save up my pennies for the 400mm f4.5 one of the best 400mm lenses ever made. Heavy, sharp, useful as a club in hand-to-hand combat.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin