Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the first version 70-200 and now own the VR-II. The first version was not really all that great on either film or digi, they really blew it with that one. Aside from being a big a$$ lens, the VR-II just rocks on either medium, über sharp!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot with the first generation 70-200 VR also but I really didn't have any issues. I think the softness in corner "thing" is a bit blown up out of proportion in the true Internet fashion. Who really places important subject way in the corner anyway??

I had to really think, if I ever had any "issues". The only concerns I ever had were two and they are quite minor. One, the way I hold my lens, I tended to turn the focusing ring and it being a full-time manual override lens, it can shift the perfect auto-focus out of focus. Two, it's quite handful to hand hold, and the tripod bracket (even if I remove the shoe) gets in the way.

But really, it's a great lens.

For portrait, I tend to use 105VR f/2.8 Macro more. It's also a heavy and chunky lens but much more suitable for hand-holding. Again, it's wonderfully sharp, fast, and predictable.

What's your goal? You said it's probably the lens you "need".... how did you determine that? Do you have a chance to borrow or rent one? I did before I made my purchase.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 03-21-2013 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I shot with the first generation 70-200 VR also but I really didn't have any issues. I think the softness in corner "thing" is a bit blown up out in the true Internet fashion. Who really places important subject way in the corner anyway??
    Exactly. I should probably keep my mouth shut since I haven't used either version of the lens in question, but I have a hard time believing the first gen is a dog. It isn't a DX lens; plenty of people were still shooting film when it was released, and it sold extremely well. I think people started complaining around the time the D3x came out which unfortunately made it possible to examine corners in an unprecedented, unhealthy way.

Thom Hogan's review states that while the new version is indeed sharper, the focus breathing is much worse (paraphrasing).

I agree with what others above have stated about how lenses behave differently on digital than on film. All of my old lenses perform better on film than on my D200 (which was/is notoriously picky), but I've never known the opposite to be true.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Who really places important subject way in the corner anyway??
    me! subject-centred composition gets boring pretty quickly and I often find that I compose an image with something sharp in a corner and framed in some way by a bunch of unfocused stuff. Particularly true when you have leading-lines going on.

Sounds like the OP has the VR II version which is probably the good one. So nothing to worry about wrt image quality.

The whingeing that I recall about this lens was in the D200 era so the only people who could tell that the lens had issues were film shooters. Given that they noticed problems, there's a good chance you may too...

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an F5 and 70-200 VRI that I plan to use this weekend for the first time. I'll post a few results next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have as many VR lens ask I can afford. I'm getting old and shaky! Nothing but a step up in all my Nikon glass (50mm & 60mm macro excluded).
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who really places important subject way in the corner anyway??
    I shoot a lot of compressed landscapes including aerials with the 70-200 and at 200 it was pretty bad in the corners, my $69 75-150 3.5 series E being a good bit better. Not what you want when you have a client paying $4,000 an hour for a helicopter charter...

The VR-II crushes it in every regard, including VR...

It still kills me to this day to walk by the ticket office of the ski area that is one of my top two clients and see a 25 foot wide overlay window mural of an awesome shot by yours truly with soft corners...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I shoot a lot of compressed landscapes including aerials with the 70-200 and at 200 it was pretty bad in the corners, my $69 75-150 3.5 series E being a good bit better. Not what you want when you have a client paying $4,000 an hour for a helicopter charter...

The VR-II crushes it in every regard, including VR...

It still kills me to this day to walk by the ticket office of the ski area that is one of my top two clients and see a 25 foot wide overlay window mural of an awesome shot by yours truly with soft corners...
    Interesting post. It made me think how important it is to remember we're all taking photographs of different things, using different techniques, and we all have different end-purposes. Personally, I photograph solely for myself, I print small (I'm currently limited to 8x10), and I'm a huge fan of formal (symmetrical) composition. Even when things aren't symmetrical, I still naturally place the focal point in the middle, sort of like Eggleston (it took years, but I successfully managed to unlearn the rule of thirds that was drilled into my head in community college). I use a 15x loupe for viewing film, but a 25' wide mural easily beats that!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya
    What's your goal? You said it's probably the lens you "need".... how did you determine that? Do you have a chance to borrow or rent one? I did before I made my purchase.
    I'm shooting cycling sports, objects and people are flying. Lighting conditions are often far from ideal, only sometimes is flash okay. I want a focusing speed improvement over the 105 DC on the F5; I would ideally like an f/2 lens, but Nikon just doesn't make anything in the 100-180 range that is a fast (focusing) prime. The 85 1.8 I think is mostly too short, and the 200 f2 (besides costing >$5k) is mostly too long. I'm considering just sticking it out with the 105, I like what I get with it; I just wonder if I could get a shot at those "moments in between." I can rent a VR II and probably will this weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot the 70-300 VRII on my F4, F5, N80 and N90 with no issues. Also, the 14-24 on the F5 just destroys my 17-35. just say that all of my newer lenses perfom very well on my film cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin