Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,128   Online: 862

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the N75, (F75). super light, great meter and will work with full-frame VR glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Om2n with a 50mm 1.8 is a great combination. OM2 is aperture priority auto and is an advanced off the film system that works well. Its hundred bucks. A fair price if it comes with a little warranty. Get it, use it, keep the F100 for now. Make the decision which to keep once you have used the OM2 for a while. GAS says unless you need the $$ desperately you'll keep both anyway!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you wanted to stay with Nikon, you could take a look at the FE/FM series. They are smaller bodies that are mostly manual, although certain models offer autoexposure.

If you do move to Olympus, you'll be buying into a system that is highly regarded by its users. The bodies are well made, and the OM-2 uses S76/LR44 batteries.

All Japanese cameras from the 1980s and earlier will need new foam seals, which are simple to replace.

The Olympus was a full-system camera with a huge selection of lenses, winders, motor drives, dedicated flash units and more. The OM-2 also has a sophisticated metering system. You will need to get used to having the shutters-speed dial at the base of the lens, but if you shoot mostly in automatic, it's not a big issue.

It's aperture-priority, so you'll want to keep an eye on your shutter speeds as you shoot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bed_hugs View Post
    Hey guys! newbie to the forum here. Just wanted to ask your opinion something I've been mulling over in my head. I have a nikon F100 that I love and have had some great shots with, but It's size gets in the way for me. I'm a college student and I don't want to lug it around all the time with my schoolbag. As you guys know, there's no point in having the camera if I never have it around to shoot with haha.

Point is, I've been eyeing this little Olympus om2n w/50 1.8 at my local camera shop. It's in near mint condition and at about $100 it's not out of my price range, plus I can still pick up a couple other lenses on KEH for pretty cheap. I've been thinking about selling my f100 and just buying it since it's so damn small compared to what I've been using. Seems like it'd be a nice match for me. what do y'all think?

thanks you guys
    I don't have an F100 but I do have an F5, F3HP with motor drive, FM and an Olympus OM-2n. I don't feel going from say the F5 or F3 with motor which is a big and heavy package down to the OM-2 would make it that much easier to carry around. When I need a camera to easily carry around I have to use something like the Olympus XA. Because although smaller, the OM-2 is still not pocketable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    Are you already using the smallest possible lens? Like a 50 1.8 AF, the 50/1.8 series E mentioned above, or something like that? There's always the FG- lighter than an OM, and the market is flooded with them.
    I will 2nd the FG, I bought one about a year ago. I get great results from it.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you are overthinking... the OM isn't that small. IF you ever decide to do some flash photography the Nikon and SB series flashes are the only automation I ever found worth a damn. That system would properly expose "chromes" in your sleep.

Shooter
    35mm
    One trick you may want to consider is lithium batteries in the F100. The F100 is heavier than the OM but a lot of that is the motor drive and the AA batteries - which are also reasons to adore the thing. AA Batteries are everywhere. But the lithium batteries are lighter, so that saves weight. Can't do much about size though. The F100 is just bigger.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep the Nikon F100! If you want smaller, save up for a Voigtlander Bessa type rangefinder camera such as Bessa R3A or R2A.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I used an FG through college and I'd like to get another for when I don't want to drag the motorized F3HP around. It's a great camera that's very easy to use at eye-level (I love the metering display on this camera!). I used the TTL flash for lots of work, including macro, with great results. It's not quite a pocket camera, but it's definitely smaller than the F100 (which I've also owned). The only major things missing on the FG are AE lock, DOF preview, and a PC connection for external flash sync. The first two are mostly convenience features in my opinion; the external flash connection is easily addressed with a $10 part. Unless your 50mm is a G lens (no aperture ring), it should be perfect for the FG.

Having said all this, I've also used the OM2n. I sold one once for a friend, and of course I tried it all out first. I almost bought that kit myself, it was very nice and I found the flash system perfectly usable. If you like it, get it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a N90s (roughly equivalent to F100 size/bulk) and OM bodies. I prefer the OM due to it's smaller size; though these older eyes prefer the AF.

But if you plan to carry an SLR with only the 50mm lens on an everyday basis, keep the F100 and buy an older RF with a 1.7-1.9 lens (Canon, Olympus, Minolta). You lose nothing and you gain a 2nd camera with complementary capabilities.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin