Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,565   Online: 920

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Giving up my Nikon f100?

Hey guys! newbie to the forum here. Just wanted to ask your opinion something I've been mulling over in my head. I have a nikon F100 that I love and have had some great shots with, but It's size gets in the way for me. I'm a college student and I don't want to lug it around all the time with my schoolbag. As you guys know, there's no point in having the camera if I never have it around to shoot with haha.

Point is, I've been eyeing this little Olympus om2n w/50 1.8 at my local camera shop. It's in near mint condition and at about $100 it's not out of my price range, plus I can still pick up a couple other lenses on KEH for pretty cheap. I've been thinking about selling my f100 and just buying it since it's so damn small compared to what I've been using. Seems like it'd be a nice match for me. what do y'all think?

thanks you guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's really a personal thing. I can't tell you to eat oranges if you don't like'em! I have THREE F-100 because I like them so much. It's big and rather heavy but not too bad.

Olympus are fine cameras. I had an OM10 way back in my youth. Are you sure you'll want to give up all the automation and go back to pretty much everything manual? No auto focus, no matrix metering, no auto winding without winder attachment, etc, etc, etc? If so, go right ahead....

Another thing... if weight and size of F100 bothers you, any decent SLR isn't going to be THAT much lighter and smaller. To me, it doesn't make any practical difference.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could just pick up a Nikon EM or FG and it would work as a second body with your Nikon lenses that you already own. The 50/1.8E is very small and would make a very small package.

The EM lacks full manual mode but is so tiny and easy to use, you may not care. I had onw for awhile and I quite enjoyed it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you already using the smallest possible lens? Like a 50 1.8 AF, the 50/1.8 series E mentioned above, or something like that? There's always the FG- lighter than an OM, and the market is flooded with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi! Welcome!
    If you really like that OM2-N, than go for it!
    But, if you want to retain use of your Nikon lenses, how about a F80 or a even smaller, lighter and very nice F75?
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Well the camera originally came with a 24-85 zoom, but I got rid of that and just bought a nifty fifty. I didn't buy glass after that since that's all I really needed for the shots I like to take. Switching to a whole new system wouldn't really hurt as far me having lenses left over

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think I'd mind going back to manual from all the automation. The only thing I'd miss is the 1/8000 shutter speed but even then I rarely use it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Olympus XA?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both a Nikon F100 and Nikon F80's and when I go out on the motorcycle it is nearly always the F8 that comes with me. Sure it is nearly all plastic, but what isn't these days. The metering is more or less the same as the F100, in a smaller and much lighter body. Don't forget the Olympus OM2n is going to be AT LEAST 30 years old and they don't last forever. Stick with Nikon and you have all you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    You could just pick up a Nikon EM or FG and it would work as a second body with your Nikon lenses that you already own.
    I was going to post exactly the same advice. The FG is a great body in a compact size. Very similar in size to the OM.

If you want small, look at the Pentax MX.

Steve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin