Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,362   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 99mm lens cap?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should be a fairly simple project to buy some black plastic card of the right thicness from a model shop and some plastic glue and make one
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It should be a fairly simple project to buy some black plastic card of the right thicness from a model shop and some plastic glue and make one
    I make my own caps, too, by using card stock paper (such as a file folder) and black electrical tape.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    I ordered one of the Tamron style pinch caps, for $1.68. If it doesn't fit well, I'll just make something. In fact, I already tried to make something, but failed. I went through the cupboards and tested every plastic lid I could find. Eventually, I ran across some of the old-school write protection rings from those huge IBM computers. My father used to run these things for the university in the 1970s, and I guess I had a few "toys" from my youth I never threw away. Anyone remember these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WriteProtectRings.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	66665

Anyway, it's a perfect fit for the hood. I just have to stretch it the tiniest bit, so it fits snugly and stays in place. I tried to glue a plastic disc cut from a coffee can lid, but SuperGlue didn't hold. Both the lid (and I think the ring) are LDPE. I'm sure if I just did some research and found the right glue, I could fuse them together...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The right glue would be a contact cement of one brand or another. Pliobond, Weldwood etc.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The right glue would be a contact cement of one brand or another. Pliobond, Weldwood etc.
    For real? I searched Amazon for contact cement, and they all mention wood, glass, and rubber, but not plastic.

I don't really know how rubber compares to LDPE, chemically, though...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cementing LDPE, aside of using hotglue, is tricky and needs special primering and special cyanacrylate cement.
    Rubber cement (contact cement) would not work. Contact cement though works on most other plastics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might as well go all the way and just use duct tape!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ha, I like gaffers tape better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin