Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,437   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99mm lens cap?

Shooter
    35mm

99mm lens cap?

After searching for several months, I finally found a reasonable price for a Contax W-1 lens hood for my Vario-Sonnar 28-85. It didn't occur to me that finding a lens cap for an 82mm hood would be so difficult.

I don't need the original Contax K-94, and those are quite pricey, anyway (when you can find one!). What I would like is a screw-in metal cap that fits the threads at the front end of the W-1 hood. I either misread something or I got some bad information and thought that it would be 95mm, so I ordered a 95mm screw cap. It didn't fit, of course, because the threads are 99mm.

Possibly I should be posting this in the WTB section, but I'm hoping more eyes will see it here, and someone will maybe know of another specific lens that takes a 99mm cap (perhaps some MF lens I don't know about?), and give me suggestions for expanding my search. I did find some auctions for new 3rd party push-on caps for the W-1 hood, one as low as $46. But I'd prefer a threaded cap, and would also prefer not to spend that much for a cap. At least as a temporary solution, I'd be happy to buy a cheap plastic pinch cap, if one exists in the 99mm size. Any ideas?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    push-over plastic caps:

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=6900

http://www.heliopan.de/produkte/obje...tzdeckel.shtml

Both manufacturers offer the same range of sizes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would stop and break out the calipers- I am no Contax expert, but I did some quick looking around and it appears that there was a cap made for your hood with a listed size of 95mm. 99mm would be a really strange thread ID, but 99mm makes sense as a push-on size for 95mm threads. Measure what you have and perhaps save yourself a lot of trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why bother getting a plastic cap for a hood why not just use a UV filter on the lens ?.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because fingerprints are not good for contrast and sharpness?

Shooter
    35mm
    Won't the inside ring of the W-1 hood accept a smaller cap?

I went through a similar problem a while ago with the Nikon HN-15 hood (which looks like this). Because of it's weird shape, the HN-15 won't accept caps on the outer ring, so in the end I bought an 82mm Tamron pinch-style cap which fits on the inner ring of the hood (which is also a weird shape, since it doubles as a series IX filter holder).

The Tamron lens caps are copies of Nikon's, but in my opinion the former are much better made, they come in a greater range of sizes, and are more reasonably priced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Because fingerprints are not good for contrast and sharpness?
    How do you get fingerprints on a lens if you have a hood on it ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Breaking News: I might be a bit of an idiot. I've just done careful measurements with a caliper. During these measurements, I realized that the ID of the hood isn't even threaded. There are just parallel rings lightly engraved around the ID. I made a bad assumption.

The OD of the front of the W-1 hood is 99.3mm, so I probably won't even find a good aftermarket solution. As LJSLATER suggested, I'll likely just find a good 82mm plastic cap. The one that came on the lens doesn't seem to fit the hood, but if I go to my LCS and try a few, I can probably find one that works.

Thanks for your replies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are also caps of neoprene that stretch over the hood. Op/Tech has one called Hood Hat; Lens Coat calls theirs Hoodie.

You can find them at B+H or other large retailers.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    How do you get fingerprints on a lens if you have a hood on it ?
    I did not understand that hood issue from the start. Now it becomes clear to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin