Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 721

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon bodies are made from magnesium alloy. The same goes for their new digital ones. As for other manufacturers, I am not quite sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is a link for the d300 http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/micr...lity/page5.htm . The same goes for Leica and here is the link for the M9 http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/ if you like to check it out.
    Last edited by The Old Pharaoh; 04-03-2013 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Pharaoh View Post
    Nikon bodies are made from magnesium alloy. The same goes for their new digital ones. As for other manufacturers, I am not quite sure.
    I think, if you do some research, you'll find aluminium alloy is the leader... Start with the metal-body large and medium format cameras from the mid-to-late 30s, work your way up to the present day.
    BTW, aren't the Leica M9 and the Nikon d300 digital cameras?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, sir, they are indeed digital but I only included them from a quick search. As for the Nikons, you will find that F3, FM2 and FM2n are all magnesium alloy. Zeiss too uses magnesium and this is not digital, I guess. I don't disagree with you that probably some use alumium, but there are some books on cameras that confuse magnesium-aluminium alloy for an aluminium alloy. It is mainly magnesium with aluminium added to it in small quantities not the other way round.

I am afraid I will have to leave it here because an additional post with a few more brands was blocked for some reason or another. Perhaps because I gave an example of brands that are not approved of.

I don't think I will be posting anything else in the near future. I will return to being just a reader as I have been in the past.

Shooter
    35mm
    From the manuals/brochures of what I have:
    1. Asahi Pentax (original) - die cast aluminum
    2. Olympus OM4T - Titanium
    3. Pentax LX - molded aluminum alloy
    4. Nikon FM3A - Copper, silumin aluminum alloy construction chassis and metal outer body

Shooter
    35mm
    My Ciro 35 looks like it was cast with some sort of zinc alloy. The quality of the molding is pretty crummy too. The Cee-ay 35 I have which was made in the exact same molds, only earlier seems to be cast much better.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Preference of camera metal

I guess we should sum up on which senses metals are of influence:

-) visual appearance
    May be the metal itself or a coating. Though in case of metal coating not all kind of metal coatings are applied to all base metals.

-) weight
    Depends on density but also in the strength of the metal.

-) Flexibility

-) Heat Conduction
    For bare surfaces.

Did I miss something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    From the manuals/brochures of what I have:
    1. Asahi Pentax (original) - die cast aluminum
    2. Olympus OM4T - Titanium
    3. Pentax LX - molded aluminum alloy
    4. Nikon FM3A - Copper, silumin aluminum alloy construction chassis and metal outer body
    It's important to distinguish between the chassis and the covers. Most older cameras have an aluminum alloy chassis and brass top and bottom plates. As I recall, the later Minolta-based Leica SLR's had die cast zinc covers.
    Magnesium alloy started to come into use later, with the latest pro-level cameras being made differently as well- a cast body which constitutes the exterior as well as the chassis.

The LX has a die-cast aluminum body and cover plates, which are anodized and clear-coated. Titanium cameras, like the OM-4T, LX Titanium, Nikon F3T, etc, have titanium covers, not titanium chassis.

Brass was used widely as a cover material because it was soft enough to be easily drawn into the shapes needed, yet would deform rather than crack from impact. Being easy to shape with few problems, it was well suited to mass production.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a link for the d300 http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/micr...lity/page5.htm . The same goes for Leica and here is the link for the M9 http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/ if you like to check it out.
    The D300 is of the modern design without separate top and bottom covers. The M9 has a a magnesium chassis, with top and bottom covers "machined from blocks of solid brass" to quote the brochure.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I am afraid I will have to leave it here because an additional post with a few more brands was blocked for some reason or another. Perhaps because I gave an example of brands that are not approved of.
    I am quite sure that is NOT the reason your post failed to show. There are NO censors here pre-reading and blocking posts, and certainly no camera-brand preferential treatment. The moderators use a very light touch around here, and rely on us to police ourselves. They only step in when it is really necessary, and I have never seen them remove a post, even an offensive one. Maybe your ISP had a glitch or something at the same time you tried to post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin