Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,645   Online: 981

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Preference of camera metal

My Leica II is made from Nickel and I think the metal on the lens is also of the same material. I find the finish/soft colour of the metal and its weight one of the most endearing properties of this camera. Were any other cameras manufactured from Nickel? I have heard some people have an allergy to this metal, so it may have a down side.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any camera made from nickel, but well from nickel-galvanized brass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Leica's are made of Brass, that's why they suffer from "Brassing".

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    My Leica II is made from Nickel and I think the metal on the lens is also of the same material. I find the finish/soft colour of the metal and its weight one of the most endearing properties of this camera. Were any other cameras manufactured from Nickel? I have heard some people have an allergy to this metal, so it may have a down side.
    Nickel and chrome are used for plating things. Nickel has a nice warm appearance compared to chrome.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    Nickel and chrome are used for plating things. Nickel has a nice warm appearance compared to chrome.
    Sorry, then plated and not made from, but it has a beautiful finish.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it was just used as a coating and most often found on the bright parts before the widespread use of chrome. Nickel has a lovely warm tone and not as shiny as chrome, and seemed to be used until the second world war. I just bought one of those new CV Heliars (yes I know, I know) for my Leicas that is finished in Nickel to give that "retro" look. Must admit that like Titanium it has a very nice look.

Shooter
    35mm
    Chrome took over in the 1930s, it has a cooler tint than nickel. I don't really know that I prefer one over the other though. Chrome is much harder wearing than nickel though, and generally doesn't go dull, which is why car manufacturers switched to chrome faster than pretty much anybody else.

On the subject of chrome, I don't think anybody did chrome as well as Exakta did. I love the softer/smoother finish Exaktas have compared to other cameras.
    Last edited by Yashinoff; 04-01-2013 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Though maybe not for cameras, nickel was/is also used as an alloying metal along with copper and zinc to make what's known as nickel silver, most often used for small items similar to camera bodies. Again, not saying that it was, in fact, used as a camera body, just another possibilityfor nickel to have found it's way into a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Preference of camera metal

I'm slightly allergic to nickel so I have to give it up to titanium as the coolest metal. Even though it's been around for awhile, and there have been big advances in aluminum and magnesium and all their alloys, titanium still stands out. It has a nice look to the bare metal that gives it a softer appearance if that's the right term. Whenever I hear it, I think of space age materials, stealth jets, and race cars. It was supposed to be the material of today!!! What happened?!

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 1936 Leica Standard type E in black have nickel hardware and a nickel 50 3.5 Elmar. Looks very nice against the black body.

Tony, i have one of those Nickel Heliars too, (50 2.0) beautiful little lens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin