Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,923   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Those who used to shoot APX 100, what do you shoot now?

Hey guys,
    So before they were discontinued I used to shoot a ton of Agfa APX 100 and 400. The 100 speed remains to this day my favorite film. I was luck enough to have bought a ton of it right before it stopped being available (by chance, actually -- I didn't know that they had stopped making it until later). Once I learned I couldn't get any more I started rationing it as best I could as I've been searching for a replacement. Now I'm down to two 36-exposure APX 100 rolls and one roll of the 400. I've started using HP5+ a lot for ISO 400 and I really love it, more than the APX 400 actually, but I haven't found a 100 speed that I like yet. I really miss the tones of the old Agfa, like the ones I got in the picture I attached. So I guess that the question is: what 35mm, 100 speed film can you recommend that might get me similar results? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures0842.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sometimes expose APX100, from the stock in my freezer (8x10 format). I still have some APX 25, too.
    I shoot guns.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-02-2013 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    FP4+ and HP5+_
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FP4+, Acros and even Tmax 100. None will be identical but tweaking with different exposure and development and you'll get some good results.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oh and some might recommend the "new" Silvermax. I suspect it is APX100. Expensive though and sold out a lot. Just go Acros.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Initially Tmax 100 but when availability became difficult (while in Turkey/South America) i switched to Delta 100.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    After Agfa made its announcement, I immediately bought four 100-foot spools each of APX100 and APX400. So, I still shoot with it.

A while back, Freestyle had what I believed to be rebadged APX400. I bought 30 rolls.

Lately, I've been using the Adox films. And I always have my other favorites: Ilford Pan F and FP4.

As well, Kodak did a nice job when it reformulated its TMax 100 and 400 emulsions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In Denmark you can still get original batches of apx100. It's the only film I use in 35mm these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's possible you'll need to use a different developer to get results like you're used to with APX100, when using non-Agfa films. It might be that a different film-developer combination might give you results more to your liking than you're getting with whatever developer you're using now.

I have a great fondness for APX100, Plus-X and FP4 Plus all, but only one is still with us so it's obvious which one I shoot. I develop mine in PMK 1:2:100.

Have you tried Neopan SS? It's ISO 100 also. I'm not sure of its production future, though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APX 100 is still available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin