Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 729

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To do it right needs the mirror box removed.
    I don't bother.
    Remove the cover plate surrounding the lens mount...4 screws.
    Remove the Top left screw in the lens mount. Camera FACING you.
    Benji recommends going through the bottom, the result is the same but going in through the front puts you just above the offending pivot point.
    Hold the camera at about a 45 degree angle, wind side down and with a pinpoint oiler/syringe or other pointy thing apply a small drop of oil. Let the camera sit for a few minutes and work the shutter a few times. If it isn't completely healed, do it again. SMALL drop.

Watch oil would be best clipper oil is also very fine. NO WD-40, no 3 in 1. Watch oil is clear and has a viscosity like water.
    I can't stress how important the oil is. Check with a watchmaker and see if he can give you a few drops in a film cannister
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 04-05-2013 at 11:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are people who are doing the oil from the bottom of the camera. Using a syringe that fill ink cartridges. ONLY one or 2 drops is all you need. It may not sound like it works right away but shoot a few rolls and you will notice. Very simple and use clock oil as mentioned. I have already done 4 with no complains.
    Here is the video & you can use a screw driver instead of the steak knife.....

Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 04-05-2013 at 11:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flsimages View Post
    there is no perm. fix for it? no part that was upgraded down the line to fix it?
    Yes they did fix it. They made the EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could eliminate the annoying squeal using this:

Canon A-1, AE1, AE1 Program Squeak Repair Kit

I used it with my Canon A1 and AE1 Program with excellent results.

This kit contains all necessary equipment to perform the task. It also includes some detailed instructions.

Regards.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is that grease for included in that kit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post

The T-series came before the EOS (T30, T50, T90).
    No squeaks that I could discern in the T-series bodies which were the springboard for the EOS bodies.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was no T30, but T50-T90.

The T60 even was an outcast as being a modified model from Cosina.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post

psh. i has one of those too. an eos 1 lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What is that grease for included in that kit?
    I am not an expert in this field but the oil seems to that applied to the ancient sewing machines.

The grease lithium appears to be, applied to different gears which are under the base plate.

Regards.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not an expert in repairing it, but I have read up on specific details regarding what makes the squeal. It isn't dried lubricant. It's more akin to a pin that rotates in a hole, and through forces acting upon that pin the hold elongates to an oval shape and the pin starts wearing oddly as well.

All those "fixes" to quiet the noise with drops of oil strategically placed are only band-aids on a larger issue.

The issue would be addressed by a proper CLA. If you got a CLA and it didn't resolve it -- you got ripped off. They didn't do a full cleaning and didn't replace the worn parts. I had an AE-1P that squealed horribly for many years until I got it CLAed. When it came back it was quiet as a new model and it has remained so for many years and to this day.

I'm sorry to say I think you got swindled for the most part on your past CLA experiences.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin