Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,502   Posts: 1,571,725   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

the annoying shutter squeal (canon)

So i have an a-1 that has been with us since new in 1984. It was the first camera i shot when i was about 6 or 7, then stole it from my dad when i was like 18 for good.

the big thing i have is the shutter squeal as the shutter closes. I have sent it off a few times, both in japan and the US when i was in each place for CLA and any repairs needed. both times they said it was perfect (dont remember off the top of my head the places) Its got a good 100+ rolls through it. mostly me since my parents never shot it really.

So the question is. where do i send it to get it fixed once and for all? I use this camera constantly and want to keep it working well into the future so hopefully my kids can use it as well.

thanks!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am surprised that a commercial CLA did not solve the issue (if I understand you right).
    As you are a mechanic by profession you should dare a repair by yourself. On the net you'll find the original A-1 repair manual as well as several manuals by DIY people just for solving the squeal issue with type-A cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am surprised that a commercial CLA did not solve the issue (if I understand you right).
    As you are a mechanic by profession you should dare a repair by yourself. On the net you'll find the original A-1 repair manual as well as several manuals by DIY people just for solving the squeal issue with type-A cameras.
    I read the test report by Norman Goldberg when the A-1 first came out. He said due to its design the A-1 would be prone to lubricant dried out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    exactly. it works fine for about 3 rolls, then goes back to squeaking. i HEARD of swapping some f-1 parts into the a-1 to alleviate the problem, but now i cannot find that link anymore

if i could source the parts and jazz id do it. i pulled my EOS-1 apart to fix the shutter button, so im not too worried about it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F-1 parts won't fix it. The squeak comes from a gear assembly on the side of the mirror box. A DYI project that requires nothing more than a drop of oil in the right place. You can apply the oil without taking apart the camera, but you have to know where to apply it. Maybe ask a question on the classic camera repair forum. Lot of knowledgeable folks there:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...tml?1365156882

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 'squeal' comes from the gear train used in the mirror return. The repair involves removing the top plate and lubricating the gears. Done properly it will or should last many years. Seemingly a simple task but from what I have been told, not a job for the fain hearted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The repair man who fixed mine (BrunoLancement in france) told me to avoid letting the camera become too hot if I was to use it afterwards. It'been two years and the squeak seems to be gone for good
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's the fly wheel on the mirror braking mechanism that needs one drop of clock oil in a hyperdermic needle, it can be accessed by removing the bottom plate and inserting the needle as far as it will go inside the front of the body just behind the lens mount on the right hand side with the front of the camers facing you, but remenber to remove the battery first.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    "I read the test report by Norman Goldberg when the A-1 first came out. He said due to its design the A-1 would be prone to lubricant dried out. "

I have the April 1979 issue of Popular Photography in which the A-1 lab report appears. Mr. Goldberg made no such comment in his stripdown report.

"You can't say anything on the Internet that isn't true."
    "Where did you hear that?"
    "On the Internet."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there is no perm. fix for it? no part that was upgraded down the line to fix it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin