Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,665   Online: 1227

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Sometimes things just fall in your lap -- like a Noct-Nikkor

So I'm looking through some websites where cameras are bought and sold, and came across an ad that at first I could not believe, and then quickly decided to take the plunge as GAS hit again: a black Nikon F#6422XXX with an F2 DE-1 prism and (hard to believe) a 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor -- for $299.

Of course, until the camera arrived I imagined the worst: scratched lens, haze and fungus, inoperative body, etc. In fact, the lens is very clean, thanks in part to a Nikon filter on the front. And the body works OK, could use a CLA given that it's about 50 years old now. You'll see that I don't have a Nikon nameplate on the camera, as someone must have removed the original black one long ago. I do have the chrome one for the F2, but removed it because the prism really doesn't fit with it attached (despite what others have found the case to be). And you'll note that the back is actually a chrome-trim back, not black, but I really don't mind as what with the chrome back and prism I get sort of a panda look.

If anyone has a black Nikon F nameplate they'd like to sell onwards, or a black back, let me know. I actually wouldn't mind getting a true black Nikon F prism if one floated by, but I know those are not common.

Just by way of cost vs. resale value, this isn't the best deal I ever found -- once I bought a Polaroid 195 for $2 at a "brocante" in Belgium. But a $3000 lens for under $300, not bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noct-Nikkor on table reduced.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hate you.
    Nice lens.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate you more than he hates you.
    Really nice lens.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Incredible! You lucky,lucky ******* said in a Monty Python style. Good going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WTF and OMG! Congrats.

Shooter
    35mm
    Making a forum post just to gloat in front of other people "haha look how much money I made from this item I bought and sold" is of such a pathetic taste. I wouldn't even think for a second to make a post as such. Some people man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see a problem with it. The seller got his asking price. The buyer got a good deal. And we all get to share a bit in the buyer's staggeringly good fortune. Everybody wins here.

I only hate him because I'm so happy for him.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well done - enjoy your lens. I hope you make some amazing photos with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sometimes things just fall in your lap -- like a Noct-Nikkor

Wow nice find. I kinda like the sterile looking prism cover. If you can fill in the holes with something it would be even cooler.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just to respond to Morituri -- I thought quite a while before posting this. The main reason I did it is because, in my present circumstances, there is not one person around me who would appreciate the lens or even understand why I was so pleased to come across it. There's no one I can talk to about cameras here, anymore than there is anyone to discuss single-ended amplifiers or the merits of 6SN7s. That's one great benefit to me of the Internet -- that I can communicate with people who understand my hobbies. I didn't post to gloat, anymore than the guy who found a Nikon SP in an antique store did it to gloat IMHO. I just wanted to reach out to some folks who might (A) understand my pleasure and (B) be encouraged by the fact that this sort of thing can happen to anyone. And that $2 Polaroid camera? That was over a decade ago, and I didn't post about that, so it's not as if I'm filling your inbox with my gloating. I'm sorry that you took such a negative view of what Lady Luck sent my way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin