Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,959   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess all plastic cartridges with that "arm" originate from the same manufacturer: AP
    At least the ones I saw all looked the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps, AgX, but I do not know why the Russian ones did not have that important arm, whose purpose is to block light at the most vulnerable point where the film exits the cassette. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aside of very old cassettes, type 135 metal cassettes (single- and multi-use) do not have that arm either. The idea was that plush protruding at the short side would seal the slit.
    So when starting from the standard type 135 cassette when designing a reusable plastic version with twist cap, one would not necessarily consider an arm.

I shall have a look at those soviet cassettes.

Shooter
    35mm RF

"Lightproofedness" of plastic cassettes for bulk loading

Someone mentioned that Efke cassettes have screw tops. Is that true and does it go for all types of Efke film?

Philip

Shooter
    35mm
    Correct, ApX, the plush felt sticking out from the sides of metal cassettes is the baffle that the 'arm' on plastic cassettes provides. When you screw a cap onto a cassette, on the other hand, the 'sticking out' of felt becomes impossible to have; thus, the 'arm'. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether a cap is screwd on or clipped on, the interference with the plush should be the same.

But over time a number of type 135 cassettes have been designed, all varying from each other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I don't like the plastic cassettes. I have had the end come loose and ruin film.
    They do seem to unscrew with little effort. To make myself feel better, I put a little blue painter's tape on so that a edge of the tape covers the edge of the cap. It gives me something to make note on as well.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    They do seem to unscrew with little effort. To make myself feel better, I put a little blue painter's tape on so that a edge of the tape covers the edge of the cap. It gives me something to make note on as well.
    I use a mini Avery pressure sensitive label for same purpose.

The spool in the OP first post is not the original pattern it is from a factory crimped cassette, it is more difficult to secure the film to this type, less area to stick to.

Otherwise it should be ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin