Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,202   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

"Lightproofedness" of plastic cassettes for bulk loading

Hi everyone

I have a number of plastic cassettes for bulk loading, the kind with the twist top. I haven't yet loaded any of them because I am wondering how light proof they are. Here's an image (and I know it doesn't show a plastic cassette but it gives an idea of my concern, I hope):

The left-most part of the spindle will simply just "lie" against the bottom of the cassette. And it doesn't even seem to fit well in the cassettes hole either, it's possible to wiggle it back and forth a bit. I know the spindle has a pretty wide "brim" but is this really lightproof enough? If not, must I load the cassettes in a dark(ish) room to reduce leaks?

Cheers and thanks for any insight.
    Philip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use them all the time - no problems, even loading under the Florida sun at noon in July (actually , not quite true - I do try to shade the open camera with my body at least)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have plastic cassettes I have used for many years and never had a problem, unless the cap came off. I use a tape label and be sure the end comes onto the end cap. As said above, still best to load in shade.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like the plastic cassettes. I have had the end come loose and ruin film.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Lightproofedness" of plastic cassettes for bulk loading

I've had better luck with plastic than with the metal and actually prefer them. The caps seem LESS likely to come off to me, requiring a twist not just a straight drop to pop off.

Shooter
    35mm
    The plastic ones I have are the threaded screw-in type. I imagine they are safer than the friction top. I have never had mine come off

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    They will be light-tight, however being plastic they may generate static electricity and attract dust. This I know as fact. Metal ones if you must use re-loadable

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow thanks for the many and quick replies!

I feel better now. I'll give it a go. I'll also be re-using cassettes from developed rolls (my own after having had them developed at a shop or empty ones I get from the shop).

Cheers
    Philip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only plastic ones I've used are the screw on type, and I preferred them for that reason. But they also seemed to deform less than the metal ones which can easily warp and become un-light tight (while the plastic are, well, more plastic and seem less prone to warping.) I have also dropped the metal ones on the spool and had the cap pop right off, which has never happened when I've dropped the plastic ones.

Disclaimer - my experience with metal film cartridges dates from the 1980s and was pretty brief before a friend recommended the plastic, which I was happier with and have used ever since. It's quite possible today's metal ones are better. I don't use much of either anymore as the savings from bulk loading are much less than they used to be. I do load some Arista branded Tri-X though, partly because I like shorter loads than 36x for the stuff I usually use it for.

I have never had any problem with static or dust with the plastic. I can see it as a possibility but it seems a stretch to me in practice. I blow out the felt with canned air and keep them in sealed bags when not in use.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the plastic ones best but be forewarned: On the cap that screws in, there is a tiny 'arm' of plastic that fits perfectly over the felt. Make sure that it does because you can screw the cap on where that arm will be 180 degrees away from the felt. I once got a Russian plastic cassette that did not have this arm, though. I did not trust it to effectively block all light. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin