Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,624   Online: 1169

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    a converted 50mm Pentax-M f/1.4 lens which is just fantastic, although it focuses the wrong way.
    You mean the SMC takumar which would go on k1000?

Something like this? I can shoot with that till I retire. I have that lens and four pentax bodies
    http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical...4379&k=swJ62p9
    Last edited by Andrey; 04-09-2013 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Too old to care View Post
    My favorite camera is my very old Rollei 35 with Sonnar 40mm-f2.8, equal to image quality of my M6 with Summicron 50mm-f2.0.
    I have a feeling I won't be able to tell the difference in pictures in between the stuff I have an a leica.

And if I need that extra kick in quality I'll just shoot MF

But why do I still want one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andre, I will never try to talk you out of owing a Leica, just want you to be aware that it is not that much better than many other cameras. I shoot mostly 6x6 because I like the results better and it forces metro take my time. If you get a Leica you can always resell later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is how my 50 DR renders its out of focus areas. I love it for portraiture, it's almost like having two lenses in one, except it doesn't lose sharpness wide open, just has a different character.

That said, if you can get a Leica, and you want one, and you have the cash, it will never hurt to buy one and sell it a month or two down the line...I would suggest that you don't bother doing any "testing" though, and just shoot. Whatever you get, provided it's in good condition, ought to work no questions asked.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    You mean the SMC takumar which would go on k1000?

Something like this? I can shoot with that till I retire. I have that lens and four pentax bodies
    http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical...4379&k=swJ62p9
    Yes. Roland (Ferider) was kind enough to rough out the cam part from the tubing he had and send it to me. I just had to assemble it and calibrate it. Here is a link-

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=124922

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recurrent dreams about a red dot

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    This is how my 50 DR renders its out of focus areas. I love it for portraiture, it's almost like having two lenses in one, except it doesn't lose sharpness wide open, just has a different character.

That said, if you can get a Leica, and you want one, and you have the cash, it will never hurt to buy one and sell it a month or two down the line...I would suggest that you don't bother doing any "testing" though, and just shoot. Whatever you get, provided it's in good condition, ought to work no questions asked.
    Nice photo Chris!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recurrent dreams about a red dot

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

But why do I still want one?
    Because it's frickin' FUN.

Quality does not always mean better. It could mean different. I have an old, uncoated 35/3.5 Elmar. It's in perfect condition. Tiny little thing. Few would argue that the Summaron and Summicron are not "better". But how so? Maybe I do not want better, maybe I do not care how a lens performs on an Air Force test chart. Maybe I want it because of its character and how it makes photos. I love the 35/3.5 uncoated Elmar. It make beautiful photos!

As mentioned above two of my favorites are the Contax 45/2 Planar for G2 and the 50/2 Summicron DR. Very different lenses with very different character and I use them for different subjects, films and conditions. Or sometimes I am just more in the mood to shoot one over the other.

It's why I get miffed when someone posts something like "don't get so-and-so lens because the such-and-such lens is BETTER......and sharper." So what!?!?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Because it's frickin' FUN.

Quality does not always mean better. It could mean different. I have an old, uncoated 35/3.5 Elmar. It's in perfect condition. Tiny little thing. Few would argue that the Summaron and Summicron are not "better". But how so? Maybe I do not want better, maybe I do not care how a lens performs on an Air Force test chart. Maybe I want it because of its character and how it makes photos. I love the 35/3.5 uncoated Elmar. It make beautiful photos!

As mentioned above two of my favorites are the Contax 45/2 Planar for G2 and the 50/2 Summicron DR. Very different lenses with very different character and I use them for different subjects, films and conditions. Or sometimes I am just more in the mood to shoot one over the other.

It's why I get miffed when someone posts something like "don't get so-and-so lens because the such-and-such lens is BETTER......and sharper." So what!?!?
    I agree, but I don't want to buy for same reasons. I like craftsmanship, but that alone is not enough to push me to change systems.

I'm happy with the sharpness I get.

But I want more contrast and better bokeh. The main reason I shoot film is that I love the way highlights are rendered, so consequently a lot of backlit stuff is shot where contrast matters a lot.

Ideally it would be a three element design with top of the line multicoating. But I can't seem to find one. My CZJ tessar isn't too contrasty for some reason. And I'm afraid a cron with 6-7-8 elements is not a solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    see if you can find an MS Optical perar?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    see if you can find an MS Optical perar?
    That seems wonderfully esoteric. I might be getting a used ZM sonnar instead. It seems to have the newest coatings, four elements and great bokeh.

I had a CZJ 135mm sonnar and was very pleased. Now I spent the last 2 hours browsing flickr and it seems to give a better background than planar and more corrected derivatives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin