Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,894   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

t-mount adapter question

While on vacation, I picked up a few odds and ends in antique/junk stores, and found an cheap old Soligor 100-200mm pre-set lens. It has the spiffy chrome and black striped focusing, aperture, and zoom rings, so I had to have it. It has a Petri t-mount with rear cap that screwed off easily. But when I went to put a Nikon t-mount adapter on, it wouldn't screw on . I tried several t-mount adapters I have for other lenses, and none of them worked. One of my older ones started to take hold, but jammed after maybe one turn. I know that t-mounts have a 42mm thread size, so I measured the thread size on the lens, and it looks to be about the same, including the thread pitch, but it seems to be just a little too big for the adapters. (I don't have anything more accurate than a steel drafting ruler) The threads don't appear stripped at all either. So I don't know what's going on here. Were t-mounts ever made in other sizes, like 43mm? I have never seen a pre-set lens use anything except a t-mount adapter.
    Anybody have any experience with these things? Any help would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the early days (50's/60's) of SLR lenses by independent lens makers there were several versions of the T-mount type mount. I have several that don't fit any T-mount lens I've owned. Finding what you need may take a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by randyB View Post
    In the early days (50's/60's) of SLR lenses by independent lens makers there were several versions of the T-mount type mount. I have several that don't fit any T-mount lens I've owned. Finding what you need may take a while.
    Thanks for the help. I figured it might be something like that. Hard telling where I might find an adapter. It would probably be easier to just buy an old Petri if I wanted to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might also be a Miranda screw mount. My Miranda G has a bayonet mount, but the inside of the mount is threaded as a screw mount. I have one Soligor 135mm preset lens in this mount. I believe it's 43mm diameter threads.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Miranda threads are a lot coarser than what's on a T mount. What we generically refer to as a T mount, is more specifically known as a T2 mount and didn't come about until 1962. There are earlier "T mounts" which are slightly different. (edit: or so I thought - apparently the only difference between the T mount and the T2 mount is the T2 has set screws in it so you can orient the lens properly in the mount. But some lens manufacturers had proprietary mounts using the same principle)
    Last edited by Yashinoff; 04-11-2013 at 01:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah...I believe that I misunderstood what was being talked about previously. You're talking about the thread size that goes between the lens and the mount. I have a few lenses branded by Soligor and Vivitar that use a setup like this so they can build one lens to fit several different mounts. I never knew what they were called. Mine all have the set screws to properly orient the lens too. Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the thread size is. I've attached a photo if that's any help to anyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0055 small.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	67139
    Last edited by rjbuzzclick; 04-11-2013 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Earlier Petri SLRs used a proprietary bayonet mount before they switched to the M42 mount. This is a wild guess, but maybe you have an M42 mount lens with a Petri bayonet mount adapter attached. The following link might be of interest:

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/petri_vi.html

Shooter
    35mm
    This madness is why, early on, with every camera show I attended, I would rarely refuse to buy cheap 'adapters', of all sorts, for 'just in case' reasons that would somehow manage to manifest in the future. - David Lyga

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But aren't those scenarios above those "just in case" situations?
    I guess it all depends on the price of those dapters. And the room one got...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to thank everyone for their comments. But I have somewhat solved the problem. I unscrewed the set screws on the Petri t-mount and an old Nikon t-mount I had, and removed the center piece with the t-mount threads. I saw there was little difference in in the size of the rings, so with a little grinding and filing, I got the thread ring from the Petri mount to go into my Nikon mount. I tightened up the set screws and threaded it back on the lens, re-set the screws to center the lens, and there we go, mounted perfectly on my old Nikon FTN. One leetle problem; the lens won't quite focus to infinity on the camera. It's good to about 25ft. or so, then that's it. I may work on this problem some more, or just use it for closer subjects.
    Life's a learning experience, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin