Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,332   Online: 1197

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    snip

I've wondered about this topic in another way... I have some old folding MF cameras. They have top shutter speeds of 1/100 and 1/200. One has a 105mm lens with speeds of 1/25 and 1/50 and it does not have a tripod socket. Obviously it was made to use those shutter speeds even though by the "1 over focal length" rule these would be too long for handheld use.
    snip
    Old folding MF cameras (particularly from the cheaper end) were expected to produce contact prints in the main. Our family photos from the 1950s are all 6x9 prints - ie contacts - at that size, camera shake is not so visible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1/8th of a second with Rolleicord.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Was that with the mirror locked up?
    For 1/8 second hand held, what's the point?

Actually, the speed is irrelevant.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh dear!

I'm not very good at slow speeds - 1/30 is about the best I can do on 35mm camera and 1/125(ish) on MF - I've got very shaky hands, and I'm only a youngster (mid 30's!) what's that all about?!?!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't usually attempt to hand hold at shutter speeds at less than than 1/15 second, and then only rarely, usually 1/30 second is the slowest I attempt..
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Old folding MF cameras (particularly from the cheaper end) were expected to produce contact prints in the main. Our family photos from the 1950s are all 6x9 prints - ie contacts - at that size, camera shake is not so visible.
    Aha! It had to make sense somehow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Longest handheld exposure

On my Mamiya 7 I'll go as low as 1/8th but on an SLR I won't go lower than 1/30 as the mirror slap gets me regardless of the steady hand.

On my Mamiya RZ67 I'll go to 1/60, I've gotten very good at that and people are shocked I can do it, but if you take your time and breathe properly, you can do it.,

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1/30 is the slowest I go.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Was that with the mirror locked up?
    Nope.

I should add that for me it's near impossible to get a steady exposure for anything longer than 1/30s with a 50mm lens, with 1/60s definitely preferred. It seems physically impossible for me, and I've been trying for a few years now.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I don't know a good answer, but I have one example that was 1/4th second with the 35mm camera itself braced on a rail but tilted up with my left hand under the lens to frame the image.. it is perfectly fine. Another from the same day was 1/8th second handheld at my eye... I was standing and made it as well as I am possibly able ( shutter released as I breathed out... as still as can be ) and I made an 8x10 print that is definitely soft. It still looks nice, but there is softness. I'm glad I made the photo and I like it.

I've wondered about this topic in another way... I have some old folding MF cameras. They have top shutter speeds of 1/100 and 1/200. One has a 105mm lens with speeds of 1/25 and 1/50 and it does not have a tripod socket. Obviously it was made to use those shutter speeds even though by the "1 over focal length" rule these would be too long for handheld use. When I use 100 speed film, it can be a problem keeping the shutter speed as fast as 1/100 if there's shade or it's not a bright day. Probably this has all been covered on APUG a thousand times, but I wonder if that "1 over focal length" rule of thumb is really only for 35mm cameras... It seems odd that the camera would be made without a tripod socket and have only the fastest speed usable with the films that would have been available at that time. Someday I'll try some 1/25 and see how it goes....
    These old Cameras were probably placed on tables or other accessoires. Also outside.
    for shutter time, I do a 1/30 with my old pentax me super with 50 mm lens, without precautions and get lucky in half of the shots.

Kees.

I just read about the contact prints, indeed that makes sense.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin