Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,946   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    My OM-1/1N meter conversion uses silver oxide 1.55V batteries (357, SR-44W, G-13, MS76, KS76, S76, 303 etc.) Alkaline batteries lose voltage as soon as you start to use them, undoing any meter calibration that might have been done. Silver oxide cells have a more level output until they weaken and die. John
    Thanks for clarifying, I had stuck in my head the shape of the battery compartment - not thinking it could be re-worked. For the OM-1, do you replace the battery compartment or fit an insert (like a grommet) to accommodate the smaller cell? Do you make it one - or two - cells?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, I had stuck in my head the shape of the battery compartment - not thinking it could be re-worked. For the OM-1, do you replace the battery compartment or fit an insert (like a grommet) to accommodate the smaller cell? Do you make it one - or two - cells?
    A SR44 is somewhat smaller than the original one but that does not matter much. Some use an o-ring to the space but that is really not necessary. The conversion lies under the hood: The meter has to be adjusted to the higher voltage.
    As others said, the OM1 has to be serviced anyway. The conversion is done alongside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the OM-1n and the OM-4T. Both are great cameras, but I love the OM-1n the best. It just fits me and gets out of the way. I love the simplicity of the match needle metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a nice OM-4t with a Zhou half-case (as new) and strap, I would let go for $200 for anyone interested. Works great, nice cosmetics overall.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OM-4T has only the second widest metering range of any camera - past or present, that allows it to aperture priority auto expose a scene up to 4 minutes long while monitoring in real time off the film and adjusting exposure according to changes in the scene's lighting. Only the Pentax LX has a wider metering range. However, the OM-4T adds multi spot metering, exposure lock and with the Olympus F280, flash at all shutter speeds. The OM-4T is likely the most sophisticated manual focus SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one of these kits from The Olympus Guy many years ago for my OM1. I rarely use the camera now except for copying with the lovely 1.4 50mm lens, but the original replacement battery is still going strong and metering accurately. There are other options on EBay as I believe the Olympus guy is not as active any more.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-1...item3a7fa9265c

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OM1 Battery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	67283
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Images
    Good Morning, Roundabout,

I have an OM-1n and have no problem recommending it, with the usual caveat about condition being everything on cameras several decades old.

Don't overlook the much more recent OM-2000. It's not a "real" Olympus of course, but finding one in excellent condition shouldn't be too hard. It has a vertical shutter for higher sync speed, takes all or virtually all Olympus lenses and accessories, and uses readily-available batteries.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I have OM1, OM1n, and OM2n. I rarely use the OM2n. They are small cameras but not exactly lightweight. Metering doesn't matter to me and I usually leave my OM1's turned off. However with the OM2n, leaving it "off" actually means leaving it on "auto". The only way to use it on manual is to turn it on and deal with that annoying meter needle in my viewfinder. Also, the OM2n doesn't work without batteries so I'm thinking about trading it away.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Very helpful.

Reading upthread about the OM-1 battery, I did some Googling and there seem to be a few sources for this MRB625 battery. Even B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zinc_Air.html

If this really does work with this camera, then an OM-1 does seem to be a good option for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Very helpful.

Reading upthread about the OM-1 battery, I did some Googling and there seem to be a few sources for this MRB625 battery. Even B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zinc_Air.html

If this really does work with this camera, then an OM-1 does seem to be a good option for me.
    Don't bother about the battery. For every OM1 a CLA is mandatory, as this deteriorating foam under the cap which is destroying the prism must be removed. Alongside this every repairsman worth the money will make the conversion. As far as I know the OM1n doesn't have this kind of material though. In this case you may, depending on the condition of the camera, get away with weincells.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin