Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,459   Online: 1246

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops! Missed that! The one I used was of the same type in appearance but only had P, no C. It was a friend's and he bought it in '71 or so, as I recall.

Thanks for the correction.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's ok and you're welcome!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Thank you for your detailed response, mgb74.

KEH is not currently buying the FTn; they likely have more than enough for the demand they have. Likely it's due to it using an obsolete battery with modern replacements being too expensive to be economical. The camera works perfectly without a battery though, obviously.

I know that KEH will pay me more than I paid for the camera and lens for just the lens alone, which is why I initially purchased the camera at the thrift store. I know enough about old Nikons to know that I wasn't sitting on a secret rare camera, I just didn't know what it was worth.

I have not done a full comparative test of the FTn, since as E. said the battery in it is not to be trusted. The shutter speeds seem to be accurate and the camera seems to work in my limited playing. I honestly don't want to put the money into it to buy a Wein cell. It will more than likely go on eBay as an as-is camera. The lens...still deciding on what to do with it. I may send it to KEH for a quick turnaround, but I may also post it on eBay. I'm sure the EOS video junkies will buy it and not worry about the AI conversion; they'll slap it on an adapter for their 5D Mark II.
    Modern replacements are only expensive if you waste your money on those Wien cells, which are ridiculously overpriced, and last only a few weeks.

Here's what you do. Go to the local drugstore and buy a sixpack of #675 zinc-air cells for hearing aids. This will cost about what one Wien cell costs.
    Next, go to the local hardware store and get an O-ring to use as a bushing, to hold the cell centered in the "battery" compartment.
    Now, remove one cell from the package and peel the tape off the airholes. Using glue, or something, block off three of the four airholes on the cell. Put the O-ring on the cell, put the cell in the camera, go take some pictures. I'm on my second year with one of these cells, in a Nikkormat FTN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Also it's not multicoated, which is usually not perceptible.
    Clarification #1: To rthomas: this appears to be contradicting your post- sorry, no contention intended. I answered too hastily and missed your post and the accompanying chart, along with the "C" in the OP's lens description, as Ricardo pointed out. My apologies.

Clarification #2: When I said "usually not perceptible", I meant in photographs, as it of course can be seen by looking at a lens if it's multicoated (usually quite easily).
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-15-2013 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Clarification #1: To rthomas: this appears to be contradicting your post- sorry, no contention intended. I answered too hastily and missed your post and the accompanying chart, along with the "C" in the OP's lens description, as Ricardo pointed out. My apologies.
    No apology needed. I have a strange affliction: checking Nikon lens serial numbers against that database for no good reason.

Shooter
    35mm
    lxdude: thanks and what rthomas said!
    About your second point: you are absolutely right!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Modern replacements are only expensive if you waste your money on those Wien cells, which are ridiculously overpriced, and last only a few weeks.

Here's what you do. Go to the local drugstore and buy a sixpack of #675 zinc-air cells for hearing aids. This will cost about what one Wien cell costs.
    Next, go to the local hardware store and get an O-ring to use as a bushing, to hold the cell centered in the "battery" compartment.
    Now, remove one cell from the package and peel the tape off the airholes. Using glue, or something, block off three of the four airholes on the cell. Put the O-ring on the cell, put the cell in the camera, go take some pictures. I'm on my second year with one of these cells, in a Nikkormat FTN.
    This is exactly what I do.
    Before I got hip to the right size rubber O rings I made a ring out of spare insulated wire I had laying around.
    The O ring are a much more elegant solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon Goodman sells a reasonably priced adapter that the hearing aid cells fit in which also makes contact with the edge of the battery compartment, just like the 625 cells did originally.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is multicoated, the c designation means it is, and there should be a greenish cast to the coating. That lens is really the standard for all macro lenses, great performer indeed. While the FT and the lens might only be worth less than a hundred bucks these days, they are worth much more as a user. Camera is also often used as a hammer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin