Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,061   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which M mount body?

So, I wanted a lens with good bokeh and high contrast. I ended up with the zeiss ZM sonnar 1.5 on the way.

But I don't have an M mount body.

I have two feds, a 50mm industar, 35mm jupiter and 21mm cv skopar all in screwmount of course.

What viewfinder would you go with?

The 35mm jupiter might not fit most of the bodies. At least bessa/zeiss ikon

I'm thinking of maybe getting a camera just for the 50mm lens and to use it with 21mm skopar. I'll have a finder that only covers 50mm and that's it.

What would you pick?

EDIT: I have a 21mm finder. I also have a bessa R, which I really like, because it has metering and the viewfinder is great.
    Last edited by Andrey; 04-13-2013 at 07:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a finder with the 21mm?

I've got a Bessa L with my 21mm Skopar with finder, and have been using it for a few months. Normally just hyperfocalling, sometimes even from the hip without using the finder. Great for lightweight hiking landscapes.

I just picked up a Bessa R3A, specifically because it's got the most accurate finder and TTL metering + Av without blowing 5-10x the price on a real Leica. With an LTM->M adapter i was using the 21mm on the R3A yesterday, it's a bit easier than on the L, with the automatic metering. Although, because I was using the 21mm finder and not the camera-finder, I didn't know what speed I was shooting at without moving my eye all the time. If you're good enough to judge that you're at least in the ballpark of 1/30 to 1/500s and keep track of what aperture you're on then you should be fine.
    Alternatively, there's the R4A with überwide finder and 21mm lines, but I don't know if the finder is anywhere near accurate enough for 50/1.5 (hopefully someone else has tried that and has opinions)

So I'd be choosing between leaving the 21mm on what you've got and getting the R3A (or R3M) for the Sonnar, or getting the R4A/R4M to use both the Sonnar and Skopar, and hoping that the R4 viewfinder is accurate enough for f/1.5 on the Sonnar.
    (never used an Ikon, and never see them second-hand so no idea about them)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the Leica M6 and M7 and I prefer my Zeiss Ikon. If you can find a good used one it is a terrific camera. I also have the Bessa R, which takes the Leica thread mount (LTM) lenses and I enjoy working with that one as well.

But, each person has different likes and dislikes that can make them bond with a particular camera...or not. Until you spend time with a camera you won't really know. If your budget prevents you from buying several rangefinders, and most people have that particular problem, then I suspect you would be best served by trying out a Bessa first. If you find you like it, problem solved. If not, you can re-sell it for what you paid, or close, and start saving for the Zeiss Ikon.

Of course, there are other factors that may sway you. Some people do not mind working without an in-camera meter, others would not consider it at all. Likewise, some people hate auto exposure modes while others find them indispensable. Knowing your own likes and dislikes can help you narrow down the field a bit.

BTW, I have that Sonnar 50/1.5 and it is an awesome lens. You will not be disappointed by the glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I have used the Leica M6 and M7 and I prefer my Zeiss Ikon. If you can find a good used one it is a terrific camera. I also have the Bessa R, which takes the Leica thread mount (LTM) lenses and I enjoy working with that one as well.

But, each person has different likes and dislikes that can make them bond with a particular camera...or not. Until you spend time with a camera you won't really know. If your budget prevents you from buying several rangefinders, and most people have that particular problem, then I suspect you would be best served by trying out a Bessa first. If you find you like it, problem solved. If not, you can re-sell it for what you paid, or close, and start saving for the Zeiss Ikon.

Of course, there are other factors that may sway you. Some people do not mind working without an in-camera meter, others would not consider it at all. Likewise, some people hate auto exposure modes while others find them indispensable. Knowing your own likes and dislikes can help you narrow down the field a bit.

BTW, I have that Sonnar 50/1.5 and it is an awesome lens. You will not be disappointed by the glass.
    I think I'd rather have a meter. My meters are pretty big L358 and an older minolta which is even larger. Most of the time it won't be a big issue to carry a meter, but I'd rather have the option or leaving it at home.

Have you handled Bessa R3? How would you compare it to the zeiss?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Bessa cameras always get high marks from its users, but being Cosina, they still seem to be unable to solve the rangefinder alignment bugaboo, which has been an issue since the first Bessa-R.

Aside from that, they are nice cameras with excellent viewfinders and accurate meters.

The Zeiss Ikon (which is manufactured by Cosina to Zeiss specifications) has an excellent viewfinder, autoexposure and a very nice feel to it. It is battery-dependant, so you should always have a couple of spare batteries on hand. I like this camera a lot.

I use this camera with the 50mm Planar, the 25mm Biogon and a 40mm Sonnar, which is one of my all-time favorite lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does zeiss ikon suffer from same RF alignment problems as bessas?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder is different from the Bessa models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My ZI rangefinder has had no alignment problems to date.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bokeh? Sell them all and get an 8x10.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Bokeh? Sell them all and get an 8x10.
    That's not bokeh. THat's big circle of confusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin