Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,497   Online: 1099

Page 16 of 108 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718192021222666 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    Just an FYI. After running a roll thru the ol' brick I figured out why you see those cocking levers on backwards. I probably have three or four frames that will be over exposed because my middle finger was in the way of its return trip when I released the shutter causing the shutter to stay open longer than needed. I just adjusted mine to be reversed so it points toward the lens......
    I think you're right. I did the same thing playing with mine.

Thankfully I didn't have any film in it yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Although I picked this up a couple years ago I've never used it. Yesterday I loaded some film sheaths with FP4+ and intend to expose the first few today.

Eastman #2 whole-plate format (6.5" x 8.5") The lens is a Wollensak Voltas 8x10 triple-convertible (12", 20", 28.5") in Autex shutter. I only have 3 plate-holders that fit although 7 different whole-plate sizes are present in the various film/plate holders shown behind the camera. This camera has lighter wood than the familiar Kodak 2d (d for dark) that replaced it in the product line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman #2 whole plate72.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	69247

Shooter
    35mm
    That's pretty cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I found out Mr. Baker more than thirty years ago by bitter experience as I've often written on this forum that buying more and more and better equipment doesn't solve the problem and make you a good photographer you can't buy creativity, and most hobbyist own more and much better equipment that the great photographers we all admire ever had that they became legends with.
    The problem and sad fact is when a person eventually has all the best and most expensive equipment that their heart desires, and their work is still crap, they have nowhere to go, and nothing to blame.
    I will never be a great photographer. Oh sure I'm continuing to learn to be exposure and processing savvy, but I don't have an artists eye.

Still, I like to collect old cameras, I like to take photos, I like processing my own film. Besides, the one who dies with the most camera equipment wins!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dotyj View Post
    I will never be a great photographer. Oh sure I'm continuing to learn to be exposure and processing savvy, but I don't have an artists eye.

Still, I like to collect old cameras, I like to take photos, I like processing my own film. Besides, the one who dies with the most camera equipment wins!
    People can spend their money on whatever gives them pleasure, it's not my place to criticise them but if they spend it in the expectation that owning more expensive cameras/lenses will make them better photographers, they are going to be very disappointed.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    People can spend their money on whatever gives them pleasure, it's not my place to criticise them but if they spend it in the expectation that owning more expensive cameras/lenses will make them better photographers, they are going to be very disappointed.
    In all honesty I agree.

I've seen this pattern repeated in other pursuits. There's no substitute for hard work and effort.

Shooter
    35mm
    true, however its takes money to buy good quality equipment that works correctly.I've shot Minoltas for years,can you save money on aftermarket lenses but they are not as good optically or mechanically as Rokkors.
    The Rokkors don"t make a better photographer but give me better images.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Would I do fine using a dented old Nikomat FTn and a lens or two? Sure. A camera is just a light-tight box to hold film and mount a lens to. At least with cameras pertaining to this site. But, now that film gear (especially 35mm) is so cheap, there is a tendency to get GAS and buy stuff that you never were able to afford before. That's part of the reason why I have twelve Nikon film bodies (three not listed in my .sig) and one off-topic Nikon body. Does it mean that I'm going to shoot every camera each time I go out to shoot? Nope. In fact, frequently, I have the D200 with a 24/2.8 AF on it, and whatever film body and a lens or two, loaded up with Ektar 100, Portra 160, etc. I do tend to cycle through the gear. At the moment, I'm shooting a roll of Portra 160 through my FT2. Up next is my very clean-looking chrome FTn with a roll of Ektar 100. Might also whip out the FM2n, which currently has a roll of Delta 3200 in it. I try to avoid spending more than about $120 or so on a camera. Only exceptions as of late have been the latest F2AS and the F5. The F2AS, I did pay cash for, whereas the F5 wound up having stuff traded toward it, dropping the price to $125+tax, from $250. The Nikkormats are very easy to get for cheap. KEH keeps selling them on their kehoutlet eBay store in lots of six or seven, which keep going for $37-$56+shipping. I usually check them out when I get them, part out the duds, fix up the remaining bodies, sell the ones I don't want, and keep the ones I do want.

Anyway, getting back on-topic: Latest is a Nikon EL2 that I picked up for $15. Works fine, except for a slightly twitchy meter, which is probably the FRE being dirty.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    true, however its takes money to buy good quality equipment that works correctly.I've shot Minoltas for years,can you save money on aftermarket lenses but they are not as good optically or mechanically as Rokkors.
    The Rokkors don"t make a better photographer but give me better images.
    I'm not trying to suggest that people should work with cheap crappy after-market lenses, only that the equipment is only a means to an end, that of making good photographs, not an end in its self, and that once you have reasonable quality gear buying more and more is counter productive.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not trying to suggest that people should work with cheap crappy after-market lenses, only that the equipment is only a means to an end, that of making good photographs, not an end in its self, and that once you have reasonable quality gear buying more and more is counter productive.

Ben,

I could not agree more with you. One of my pals on flickr once compared that 'collector's itch' to an addiction, and I guess he's right. At any rate, it's a prestige thing, and a surrogate thing. In the words of German philosopher Erich Fromm, we're basically trying to replace being with having through this constant craving for more and more and still more...

One caveat though; I think by buying into different camera systems you can also--by trial and error, as it were--learn a lot, namely, what type of shooter you are and where your individual preferences and strengths might lie. In other words, how do you know what you're really looking for unless you have the opportunity to give things a try?

Come to think of it, it was sheer GAS, this typical 'must-have' itch, that led me into buying the handful of cameras that I really love working with, e. g., the Kiev 4A (a Ukrainian Contax II rangefinder copy) or, quite recently, the Pentacon Six. When the latter arrived in the mail, a couple of weeks ago, and I unpacked it and opened the viewfinder, I knew immediately, this it it...! (I find myself sort of 'moving back in time' anyway, preferring solid mechanically-operated cameras over gear stuffed with electronic gimmicks, but that's another issue.)

Then came the hard part, that is, parting from some good cameras which I had that collector's pride of owning yet never really got the hang of. And--hooray!--I actually made it, sold off my minty Yashica Electro 35 GX rangefinder and my medium format Pentax 645 which I knew I would hardly ever use again, and was rewarded by a completely new sense of pride, the pride of being reasonable, for a change.

And it is some relief to rid yourself of things you don't need (and even get back the money you invested).

So I've now made a vow to myself (and my wife), saying...

...(1) for each of my five favorite cameras I am allowed one--and only one--backup or organ donor
    ...(2) for each new camera I acquire another one must go
    ...(3) every camera I do not use within one year will have to be sold.

I know this might seem pretty childish to some of you, but I guess camera junkies like me must simply learn to discipline themselves, some way or other...

Michael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin