Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,188   Online: 685

Page 42 of 108 FirstFirst ... 32363738394041424344454647485292 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of people getting rid of cameras because they have too many. I'm not sure what "too many" would mean for me.

My latest purchases were from Goodwill.com. Got a very nice Canon T70 and a not very nice Yashica MG-1 Black body.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's your latest new old camera ?

A Canon EOS 3. Nice camera. I'm currently using a borrowed lens, and it's a joy to use.

I've been a Pentax and Leica user for a fairly long time now, and it's strange to take pictures with this camera, because of how easy it is. We shall see if I end up liking it or not. It sure is fast, for better or worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EOS3.jpg  
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 09-29-2013 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Thomas, have you had luck getting the eye controlled focus function to work? I've tried many many times in many different conditions of light and never been able to have it recognize my eye movement with or without my glasses on.

Also, yes, it is very easy to make images with that camera. Gets out of the way very well, once familiar with it's workings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater
    Thomas, have you had luck getting the eye controlled focus function to work? I've tried many many times in many different conditions of light and never been able to have it recognize my eye movement with or without my glasses on.
    I have not tried, and doubt I will. That metering system eats batteries like crazy. What I like about it is the spot metering in the viewfinder, point it at the area of interest, meter, shoot. That's how I plan on using it. The bright red indication of being in focus is exactly what my eyes are in need of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Also, yes, it is very easy to make images with that camera. Gets out of the way very well, once familiar with it's workings.
    I find this to be a little bit disconcerting almost, that it is so easy to take the pictures. Every time I release the shutter I wonder what I missed, and whether I will ever learn to notice it. As it feels today, I much rather use the Pentax, but I know that in low light situations I'll be wanting the Canon again. It's a compromise to me.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    <snip>
    I find this to be a little bit disconcerting almost, that it is so easy to take the pictures. Every time I release the shutter I wonder what I missed, and whether I will ever learn to notice it. As it feels today, I much rather use the Pentax, but I know that in low light situations I'll be wanting the Canon again. It's a compromise to me.

You'll find the restraint and become comfortable with it, I believe. It may take some time (and film!) to adjust, but it's not like the camera is stuck in 7 FPS mode all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll find the restraint and become comfortable with it, I believe. It may take some time (and film!) to adjust, but it's not like the camera is stuck in 7 FPS mode all the time.
    I might. Time will tell. Good luck with figuring out the metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Fixcinater

I have not tried, and doubt I will. That metering system eats batteries like crazy. What I like about it is the spot metering in the viewfinder, point it at the area of interest, meter, shoot. That's how I plan on using it. The bright red indication of being in focus is exactly what my eyes are in need of.
    Thomas:

Don't dismiss the eye controlled focus until you try it out.

There is something really intuitive about being able to look at various parts of a scene and having the focus change as your eye moves.

I'm not sure if the EOS 3 offers the ability to use eye movements to stop-down for depth of field preview - but I prefer a separate button for that function anyways.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    One of my latest 'new' old cameras is a Minolta SR-7 with the lovely 58/1.4 that I found at an indoor flea market for $9.99. The light meter works as does everything else, plus the lens is spotless! I'll load it with film and take it out soon. The other is a Kodak Retina III S that I bought on the big auction site for $39.99. It has paint loss around the lens mount but otherwise looks good and works wonderfully as well.

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Thomas:

Don't dismiss the eye controlled focus until you try it out.

There is something really intuitive about being able to look at various parts of a scene and having the focus change as your eye moves.

I'm not sure if the EOS 3 offers the ability to use eye movements to stop-down for depth of field preview - but I prefer a separate button for that function anyways.

Thanks, Matt.

If I gain an interest in that metering system in the future, I will try it out. I appreciate your input.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    So I had a perfectly good Nikon F with a plain prism as well as an F2A and F3 but wanted F2 plain prism too so I kept an eye out for that. Was checking out my local CL and spotted yet another F also with a plain prism and thought maybe I could use it to trade for a plain prism F2 since it was offered at a great price - one of those investment options. Just as I got it, a plain prism for the F2 also came up! Now I am not so sure I want to get rid of the second plain prism F since I am not one of those catch and release types.

Besides being good picture takers, it also provides compositional symmetry . . .
    Nice rack. Maybe turn one of the F's into a motor driven F... I hear that one of your local camera shops just received a black F with F-36 motor drive within the past week or so. ;-) May not be on their site just yet.

Anyway, suspect that KEH has a cheap F2 that you can put your DP-11 onto. Might be a good idea to contact Dan O. over there and see what he can come up with.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin