Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,061   Posts: 1,611,416   Online: 1002

Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ... 27677172737475767778798081828387 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Like John_Nikon_F, I also have a "new old camera." Well, actually, both of those cameras came back to the United States in the same box. My Nikon F2SB with the Nikon DP-3 light metering pentaprism also was ministered to by Sover Wong, and there are differences. Upon comparing the results I determined using my equipment with the results provided by Sover from his equipment, this camera really is "better than new" at this time. The DP-3 really did need repair, and now it is working very nicely again. The new ceramic variable resistor really did make a difference. It is nice to have a camera that works at least as well as it did when it was made back in the early 1970s.

Now to think about when to send my Nikon F2AS over to England.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pieces of a Rochester Premo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning;

Like John_Nikon_F, I also have a "new old camera." Well, actually, both of those cameras came back to the United States in the same box. My Nikon F2SB with the Nikon DP-3 light metering pentaprism also was ministered to by Sover Wong, and there are differences. Upon comparing the results I determined using my equipment with the results provided by Sover from his equipment, this camera really is "better than new" at this time. The DP-3 really did need repair, and now it is working very nicely again. The new ceramic variable resistor really did make a difference. It is nice to have a camera that works at least as well as it did when it was made back in the early 1970s.

Now to think about when to send my Nikon F2AS over to England.
    Ralph, as mentioned earlier, I probably will be sending the backup F2AS over at the end of this coming month. Still need to source a DP-3 or DP-12 with impact damage that has a good LED block assembly. Oh, I did notice something interesting about the Soverized F2AS. It's the quietest F2 I've ever handled.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm

Resurrected Parts/Repair Camera

Took delivery Wednesday of a parts/repair lot of two "Nikon FM" bodies won on the auction site that either goes unnamed or whose name is paraphrased in a derogatory manner. Only one is actually an FM, and it's slightly cannibalized, but the top plate and ADR optics are intact, which is what I wanted. It was clear in the auction pic the other body was an FE, a well-worn black-finished one at that.

After my first FM top cover removal [with the help of the Tomosey Nikon repair book], I turned to the FE. Whatever the shutter speed setting, I reset the dial to M90, and tried to fire it. Nothing happened - the shutter button was stuck. I took a mechanical pencil point to the base plate button for the MD, and the shutter fired - promising. Neither body came with a battery holder, so naturally their meters weren't working. I had a spare from a junker EM body, so I loaded a pair of good 357s, and watched the meter move up and down the scale as I varied film speed settings and aimed the FE alternately at lights and dim doorways - more promising.

I mounted a lens, set the dial to AUTO, aimed at a table lamp, and tripped the shutter from the base plate MD release - IT FIRED.

With application of some 91% alcohol and a drop or two of Goo-Gone in the shutter button collar and help from a toothpick and a couple of cotton swabs, enough of the oily gunk dissolved and came loose to free up the shutter release.

So here's my latest - a well-used black-finished FE with personality galore - looks like I'm gonna send it in for a CLA and put a few rolls through it.

Thanks and regards,
    Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conv_D2C_6704.jpg   Conv_D2C_6705.jpg   Conv_D2C_6706.jpg   Conv_D2C_6707.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Not a new camera, but it's kinda like one. Just got my main F2 body back from Sover Wong. All the problems it had previously are gone.

-J
    How much does he charge? what did it cost to ship back and forth. I'm considering sending my F2AS in for a check up.

(I looked up Sover's website and got the info.)

I picked up a mint- Nikon FA and a MD-15 and some accessory items for my F2 bodies.
    Last edited by fstop; 03-01-2014 at 10:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

So, my first 35mm SLR was a new chrome body SRT-101 I bought when I was 15. I worked all summer to save the $200 to buy it.. $20 more for black in 1973, but I they were sold out the day I went to buy one so I got a chrome one.

I graduated to a Minolta XE-7 as a second body in 1977 which are only black (finally I got one!). A year later, decided I needed to go Nikon. My first Nikon, a black F2A and a black FM, and sold the Minoltas off. The leap to Nikon from there up till last year when these came back to me.

After 40 years, I finally have now, what I originally intended to have then. I have both a black SRT-101 and SRT-201 now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	srt201_sf2013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	83393

I picked up over time, the 35mm F2.8, 50mm F1.7 and 100mm F2.5 Rokkor-X's to go along with it, which I only dreamed of having in my camera bag. It is like an old friend has come back into my life. I always liked using the SRT-101, a very simple camera to use.

It takes me back to a simpler time and I like using it as much now as my other old friend, a black Apollo Nikon FTN and a Nikomat FTN, which I have settled with for my long term Nikon 35mm film setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	83418
    Last edited by kreeger; 03-01-2014 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice story Kreeger!
    It is always nice when one realises his/her teenage dreams.

Not a new camera, but I finally managed to acquire a Nikon Series E 135mm F2.8.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, 2x OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Nice story Kreeger!
    It is always nice when one realises his/her teenage dreams.
    Realizing as in "understanding" and realizing as in "achieving", indeed!!
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just received from the UK a Canonflex RM with 50mm F/1.8 - 50 years old, but in virtually new condition and fully working, though I still have to check the seals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    How much does he charge? what did it cost to ship back and forth. I'm considering sending my F2AS in for a check up.

(I looked up Sover's website and got the info.)

I picked up a mint- Nikon FA and a MD-15 and some accessory items for my F2 bodies.
    $190, plus shipping. It's usually $55 for the return shipping. He recommends using a USPS Medium Flat-rate box to send the camera, since it's actually the cheapest way of doing it. Also, consider sending two cameras. He has a bit of a backlog right now, so doing two cameras might be beneficial. Re: the F2AS, I wholeheartedly recommend having him upgrade it to the heavy-duty ring resistor. One of my DP-12's has already been done. My other DP-12 will be done in a few weeks. Sending some items he had delivered to my house over to him and will put the DP-12 in the box with his items to be shipped over.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin