Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,744   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fair deal on M2 and M3 ?

I have a chance to get an m2 or m3 at 650 bucks each.

M3 serial is in 1 000 000 to 1 100 000 in the middle and is very clean. Some wear marks but not brassing.

M2 serial in in middle 900k. M2 has a dent on the top plate on the right and the rewind lever's teeth are imprinted on the body. It looks like it was bumped, but the brass is not showing. Otherwise it's very clean.

They're not mint by any means and the L seals are broken, but they've extremely clean for 50 year old cameras, almost to the point the me using them would add marks quickly.

Is this a good deal? Fair price? Rip off?

Anything I should look out for? Thanks. This would be my first and I have no idea on collection side.

I have a jupiter 12. Would it have mounting problems?

The viewfinders are not as bright as bessas, but very bright as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Good price. Buy both.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    assuming all mechanicals are ok, those are excellent prices. The Jupiter 12 will mount with an adaptor, but why put russian glass on german mechanics? Those two countries never have gotten along well ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I'd say very good prices, especially for a late M3 in clean shape. I take it everything works properly -- shutter speeds; framelines; rangefinder aligned?

I'm sure you know this, but you will need an M adaptor for the J12, specifically one that brings up 35mm framelines since that's a 35mm lens. And only the M2 has 35mm framelines -- you would need an external viewfinder for accurate framing with the M3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Cliveh says...if you can afford both, get them at that price. The camera you get depends on the use, if you like the 50, then the M3 is the go. I have the M2 because I use a 35mm lens quite a lot and never use a 135 on a rangefinder.
    Usual problems to look for are mis-aligned rangefinder or cloudy viewfinders, and check that the low speeds are ok. Otherwise these cameras are pretty bomb proof. Your Jupiter will be fine, and I presume it is a thread mount? In which case you will need a LTM to M adaptor. Cosina Voigtlander make an excellent range of lenses if you can't afford Leica lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    but why put russian glass on german mechanics? Those two countries never have gotten along well ...
    It's the only 35mm I have and I'm content with it. The only problem would be misfocusing, but I shoot it stopped down anyways so it might not matter that much.

I take it everything works properly -- shutter speeds; framelines; rangefinder aligned?
    It's supposed to. The rangefinders are not as bright as bessa, but brighter than FED and XA I shoot with.

I don't know how to check for rangefinder. Framelines seems ok.

Your Jupiter will be fine, and I presume it is a thread mount? In which case you will need a LTM to M adaptor. Cosina Voigtlander make an excellent range of lenses if you can't afford Leica lenses.
    I have a leica adapter already. It came as a package with my 21mm skopar.

I'll be eating rice and noodles for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the ltm-m adaptor that came with your 21 should say whether it will also work on a 35mm -- for the M2, you need the proper adaptor to bring up the 35mm frame line. To check, put it on the lens -- any lens -- and put it on the camera -- look through viewfinder, if farthest outside frame line is what you see, it's the right one. You can tell which is the 35mm frame line by pulling the selector lever on the front of the camera towards the outside edges of the camera (left).

To check the rangefinder, put a lens on and focus at infinity -- at that distance (and pick something about half a mile away, not across the street) the images should coincide AND not be off vertically, although a tiny bit of vertical misallignment is acceptable and, with a bumped-around camera, sometimes unavoidable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    the ltm-m adaptor that came with your 21 should say whether it will also work on a 35mm -- for the M2, you need the proper adaptor to bring up the 35mm frame line. To check, put it on the lens -- any lens -- and put it on the camera -- look through viewfinder, if farthest outside frame line is what you see, it's the right one. You can tell which is the 35mm frame line by pulling the selector lever on the front of the camera towards the outside edges of the camera (left).

To check the rangefinder, put a lens on and focus at infinity -- at that distance (and pick something about half a mile away, not across the street) the images should coincide AND not be off vertically, although a tiny bit of vertical misallignment is acceptable and, with a bumped-around camera, sometimes unavoidable.
    Aparently it's a leica adapter. It says: M2 21-35 M3 135

So I assume it should bring up the 35mm framelines on M2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fair deal on M2 and M3 ?

I got my 1,000,000+ user M2 with a full CLA for $550. I think those prices are a tad high unless they were CLA'd recently and without the dents you describe. I'd be patient.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Aparently it's a leica adapter. It says: M2 21-35 M3 135

So I assume it should bring up the 35mm framelines on M2
    yes it should. ct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin