Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,288   Online: 745

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hoping to build a system, some lens recommendations please - Nikon

So I'm really shaking up my camera collection over the next month or so. I have pretty well given up on MF because I have found that if I want the Ansel look I need to shoot 4x5 and if I want to portability, I need 35mm, with MF being only OK at both of those. Anyways...

I have an FE with the 50mm 1.8 E (which is quite phenomenal, to be frank), and a 28mm 2.8 (meh), and the 70-300mm AF (quite impressive). Because I share this with my She Who Must Be Obeyed, I want to get a few pieces that I know I can use whenever.

I am torn between the F3HP and the FA and leaning towards the FA. Occasionally I like to shoot at wider apertures in daylight and the 1/4000th makes that feasible. Any thoughts on those two? Motor winder suggestions?

For lenses, I am not a huge wide angle fan, but love 35mm lens on a 35mm. I see there's a 35mm 1.4, 2.0,and 2.8. Prices seem to double with the aperture. Thoughts on these? I can't imagine ever needing 1.4, so the 2.0 and 2.8 seem like they'd do.

Lastly, the I like 85mm too. Any thoughts there?

Thanks in advance...I was going to go Pentax but now thinking Nikon will be easier since we have so much gear anyhow.
    K.S. Klain

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a F3, really great camera, although the F3 has a better drive of all the Nikons I have owned I liked my F2 the best. I had the 35mm 2.0 the 28 2.8 50 1.4, 105 2.8 or 2.5 dont recall and the 200 4.0, all were non AI that were converted to AI , great glass. I had and still have Pentax, M 42 and some K. I have the M42 85. 1.8 but perfer a 105.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How did the 2.0 vs he 2.8 compare with the 35mm? It's a $250 question ^_^
    K.S. Klain

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the day I was a PJ, I needed the 1.4 and 2.0, for low light, I could not afford the really fast glass. In terms of performance the 2.8 is just as good if not better at 5.6 or 8, unless you need a low light lens I would go with the 2.8 and use the 250 for another lens like the 200 F4 or 28mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're already familiar with the FE, you might want to consider the FE2.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh boy, just looked those up...FE2 looks like a nice system
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't trade my F3hp for anything, that said, it's virtues might not be so attractive to you (toughness, motor drive integration, a certain kind of simplify). It's heavy and pretty big, the FA does a lot more in a compact package. A body is a body really, they all work.

I strongly advise you to take a look at the first gen AF lenses, the plasticy ones- they are really undervalued right now, and optically many are really strong. The 35 f/2 & 85 f/1.8 are strong optical performers that are currently a little forgotten by the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe I'd just get myself a good Nikkormat set-up, and use the extra money for gas and film to go hunt pictures. As for a Pentax, I was big on Pentax most of my life, before I shot a landscape one day and that darn off-center viewfinder ruined my composition.

Shooter
    35mm
    If Liam is correct that, "A body is a body really, they all work." then the cheapest entry full manual with aperture priority and TTL flash is the Nikon FG

I assume you wanted the Nikon FA because it is the most feature rich manual focus Nikon body. No other manual focus Nikon body has all this.

Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    I believe I'd just get myself a good Nikkormat set-up, and use the extra money for gas and film to go hunt pictures. As for a Pentax, I was big on Pentax most of my life, before I shot a landscape one day and that darn off-center viewfinder ruined my composition.
    Your Pentax must have been broken as I have a range of Pentax from 1957 to 1983 and have not seen such a thing. For that matter, I am certain I have never seen an off-center viewfinder in any of the cameras I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to take issue, but a Spotmatic/ES era camera is 92% off-center, by manufacturer's specs. and Herbert Keppler, both, as I recall.The problem is that 92% is off center, both directions. I proved it by making tests with a piece of groundglass, making markings with tape pieces on the side of my house at 25 feet. It's pretty bad. You lose everything past the meter opening, and equally bad off top or bottom (I forgot which) There's no way to knock a camera out of whack to do that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin