Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,108   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Although I "like" autofocus lenses, I'm just not comfortable with them.

They don't always focus the way I want. They don't always focus at the same thing I am looking at. They don't always decide on what is in focus or out of focus the way I decide.

Much of the time an autofocus lens can be helpful but I find that, just as much of the time, I have to figure out some way to trick the lens into focusing the way I want it to. This programmable lens seems like a neat idea but, to be honest, it just seems like another thing I'd have to learn how to trick into working the way I want it to. A lot more expensive and time consuming, too.

To be honest, I'd rather just turn a dial or twist a ring until I get things to look the way I want them to. :|
    +1. On far too many occasions, I, too, have found myself second guessing/over-riding my AF lenses (28-70 and 80-200 ED Nikkors), most recently when shooting the candids at my nephew's wedding. Several times during the evening, I got so p****d off when the lenses would change focus (often when folks would move from well-lit areas to those with somewhat less lighting) that I found myself repeatedly switching from auto focus to manual. While I like the lenses for their fast speed (both are F2.8s), I find the "convenience/accuracy arguments" unconvincing; one has to be well aware of their limitations in order to use them successfully.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Meh.... All in all, its just another tool in a photographers arsenal. Also, comparing modern AF to AF that most of you would have seen in film cameras is like comparing that old 2 speed slush box auto transmission to a modern 6 (or dare I say 8) speed transmission.

Just one other thing - funny how now that photographers can easily pixel peep, all those lenses that were more then adequate are now back or front focussing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too much technology? YES........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely have to correct auto focus, but when I do it is because it chose to focus on the wrong object. I do not use auto focus for MF and LF, but that may be an artifact of not having auto focus on those cameras/lenses.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Meh.... All in all, its just another tool in a photographers arsenal. Also, comparing modern AF to AF that most of you would have seen in film cameras is like comparing that old 2 speed slush box auto transmission to a modern 6 (or dare I say 8) speed transmission.

Just one other thing - funny how now that photographers can easily pixel peep, all those lenses that were more then adequate are now back or front focussing...
    I haven't heard that term in quite a long time.
    I don't buy cars with automatic transmissions, either. In fact, I'm still suspicious of synchromesh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I haven't heard that term in quite a long time.
    I don't buy cars with automatic transmissions, either. In fact, I'm still suspicious of synchromesh.
    If you're not double clutching on the downshift AND the upshift, you're not doing it right?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sure am happy with the Aluminum Powerglide on my 68 Camaro Convertible. Works nice, easy to rebuild. Dependable. A trans job on a later model car can cost you 6 or 8 thousand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the times when autofocus fails for me is when there is too much sky in the picture or when there is foreground clutter. I would have to either use the camera's menus/controls to change the focus point or push the button and hold it while reframing the shot so that the camera focuses where I want. If I was shooting a sunset or a similar scene where most of the image was sky that autofocus won't track, I'd change to manual focus.

Then, I'd have other problems to deal with. I would have to restore the settings or reactivate autofocus before the next shot. If I forgot to do that, my next couple of shots would be out of focus until I remembered to put the camera back to its normal settings. If I used the "push and hold" trick, I take the chance that my exposure would be wrong because automatic cameras often lock focus and read the exposure at the same time. If I reframe the shot while holding focus, the scene is likely to be lighter or darker.

This could all be circumvented by putting the camera into manual exposure mode but, why the heck would I want to buy an expensive, automatic camera only to have to put it in manual mode all the time?

Yes, I like automatic cameras... SOMETIMES... but I want to be able to use them manually just as easily as I can use them in automatic mode.

I would much rather have a mostly manual camera that has some automatic features that can be activated when you want them instead of an automatic camera that needs to be defeated when it doesn't behave the way you want it to.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're not double clutching on the downshift AND the upshift, you're not doing it right?
    Wait wait on the upshift, double clutch on the downshift. If you have a gentle touch and a good ear, you need the clutch only to start off from a full stop.

Some have a clutch brake or clutch stop, when you depress the clutch pedal fully it brakes the driven plate and can be shifted up very rapidly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Worker about autofocus, but I love the VR lens. My shaky hands kill me on slow shutter speeds, with film I usually carry a tripod for low light.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin