Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 720

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with you. To make it worse, none of these computerized POS stations ("Point of Service" not "Piece of $#|†") have anything resembling a standardized display. Even the exact same model of display terminal at different locations might have a completely different arrangement of buttons or procedures necessary to operate it. You have to spend half a minute reading the display before you can even begin to get your food or pay your bill.

I like technology and computers. I'm using a computer right now. Aren't I? I work in a theater with digital projectors and sound systems. This stuff is no stranger to me.

No, my problem is about the improper application of technology toward a specific goal. I wouldn't want to use a hammer to drive in a drywall screw any more than I would want to use an expensive computer to order my food. The same goes for photography. I just want to set my camera according to my needs and the requirements of the scene or subject. I just want to press the button and develop the film. That's it. I don't need computers with touch screens or lenses with adjustable firmware. I just want a damned picture.

Sometimes I do shoot with a digicam but, when I want to shoot a picture with a real camera I don't need a computer to tell me what to do or how to do it.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow.

What a bunch of Luddite whingeing and ignorance, the lot of you (except hoffy. hoffy is cool )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can see an argument for customization of those functions that are electronically controlled - things like auto focus and aperture (in the case of systems like Canon EOS).

For example, a change of the distance that the lens focus to when the system powers up, or fine tuning the aperture, to more accurately approximate a T-stop.

But few would/should ever need the function.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm the Luddite that started the thread

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Wow.

What a bunch of Luddite whingeing and ignorance, the lot of you (except hoffy. hoffy is cool )
    Know what you mean. My day job is tech support at a university. I'm burned out on technology. I've seen too many tech solutions looking for a problem.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    With so much negative response, it's as if nobody had to adjust a rangefinder for proper focusing. I wish my zeiss sonnar had an option like this for focus shift at different apertures.

You don't have to use it.

But some people use AF cameras. Some people use them with 3rd party lenses. Because the communication is digital, a number of older sigma lenses don't work on newer bodies and have issues.

So, considering that a camera becomes a complex system of the lens computer talking to a camera computer, it only makes sense to update the lens computer.

I love manual focus camera to death, but in normal light my AF SLRs focused faster and more accurately than any MF camera. And they do it off center as well. And they also track moving objects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too much pointless technology, too much government, not enough thin pretty women wearing dresses. What do I need with a tin-can automobile with all that on-screen cockpit jazz? I'm only interested in having the biggest car with the most sheet-metal in the crash.As far as a camera goes, all the densitometry in the world is useless when you didn't charge or buy a battery.
    Technology got 24 men to the moon and back safely. THAT was the era of impressive technology. After that, technology putrefied. Wake me up again when they find a silver bullet cancer cure. (no I don't have cancer, thank God)
    Last edited by HTF III; 04-26-2013 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm burned out on technology. I've seen too many tech solutions looking for a problem.
    Or, to phrase it another way, "It's like flying a helicopter just to cross the street."
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A load of Bull, but then again most Photographers don't Photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it is too much technology when a cell phone does more than handle telephone calls. I have mine set to lockout text messages.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like technology but there is a point where disadvantages outweigh any advantages. For instance, I see the newer vehicles now with touch screen controls. They promote them as great features to improve your whole motoring experience. It gives the magazines something to "oooh" and "ahhhhh" over and it makes a nice pretty light in the vehicle at night. But when its said and done I like buttons and knobs, they stay put so I can always find them and adjust them without taking my eyes off the road. No distractions. The car companies love the touch screens because it saves them money on hardware and wiring.... They sell it to us making us believe that it makes our life better and we are somehow less of a person if we don't have that technology........

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin