Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,682   Online: 848

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this too much technology?
    Too much for what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i think it is great that there is a way for the end user to calibrate and modify a lens the way they want to.
    i don't think it is too much technology at all. its like getting a FREE CLA, whenever you want.

i think all these " look at what digital-people are doing now " or " toy cameras suck" threads are getting rather annoying.

i wonder if there is an all digital site where users post links to apug
    and roll their eyes about everything posted here ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a record player. On that record player, I can flip a switch from 33 to 45 rpm. There's also a dial where I can fine-tune the pitch by making the record spin slightly faster or slower. That's how I see the firmware crap on lenses. If you don't need to adjust it, that's fine, but, if you know what you're doing, you can tweak it however you want/need. I personally don't have any auto-focus lenses because I don't shoot anything where autofocus has a distinctive advantage over manual focusing, other than being a bit faster. I don't hate technology in my stuff, generally, unless it starts interfering with what I want or telling me "No, this is what you want"
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    I've got a record player. On that record player, I can flip a switch from 33 to 45 rpm.
    Guess what? Some young 20 somethings love and collect vinyl. They love the organic and warm sound of old records with hiss, clicks and pops.

I love technology and it's made my life much more fun and easier. I've also been lucky to make a living off of people's technology problems by being a tech monkey. One thing I don't care for is the blind faith that technology will make things better. I think as technology progresses, it takes away the art of life. The randomness and the music of chance is lessoned with over use of technology. I prefer a portrait photographed on collodion and printed on silver gelatin paper over a digital portrait that's over-retouched and printed on inkjet. Technology can be soulless. I pick and choose carefully how I buy and use technology. Right now, I love the internet where I can share and enjoy opinions on APUG.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a whole lot of work for me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Guess what? Some young 20 somethings love and collect vinyl. They love the organic and warm sound of old records with hiss, clicks and pops.

I love technology and it's made my life much more fun and easier. I've also been lucky to make a living off of people's technology problems by being a tech monkey. One thing I don't care for is the blind faith that technology will make things better. I think as technology progresses, it takes away the art of life. The randomness and the music of chance is lessoned with over use of technology. I prefer a portrait photographed on collodion and printed on silver gelatin paper over a digital portrait that's over-retouched and printed on inkjet. Technology can be soulless. I pick and choose carefully how I buy and use technology. Right now, I love the internet where I can share and enjoy opinions on APUG.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. I think I might have came over abrasive and ignorant comparing record players to camera computers. I think, in reality, I'm kinda neutral on the whole technology issue; I think if it's something you need, then use it. But if it's not necessary, then it might be best to live without it. But then, I think it's human nature to have the newest and the best and the fastest, and people in the marketing business will use that to their advantage
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey! The need for a "USB Dock" generates another item to sell -- that's what it's all about! I believe the latest Canon gear can do micro adjustments also, but in the camera body. The latter might be better if the lenses are shared between multiple cameras, as who says it's the lens that's off!

I often use autofocus on my cameras that have it; like all technology there are trade-offs. (And my 72 YO eyes are developing cataracts!) It also requires understanding what a specific system will or won't do and possibly integrating some tricks into using the stuff (which admittedly negates some of the utility).

I will say that the latest generation of cameras and lenses (Canon EOS, etc.) does not appear targeted for manual focus use. For starters, normally supplied focus screens don't seem to be optimum for manual use, although in some cases other screens are available. And as mentioned up thread, the rotation to cover the full focus range is way shorter than many older lenses. (I get cheap thrills from my FD gear. )

As a culture we do appear obsessed with technology (and complexity) for its own sake, regardless of what it gains us, not just in camera gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    As a culture we do appear obsessed with technology (and complexity) for its own sake, regardless of what it gains us, not just in camera gear.
    Absolutely! It's not about the use of a technology toward a particular purpose. It is about the use of technology because we CAN.

If I didn't want technology I'd join the Amish.

My problem with autofocus is because I don't like machines that override human decisions and make it more difficult to use manually. Sigma's autofocus firmware is great but I would rather have the option to enable or disable autofocus at a moment's notice. How about a system where, when the shutter button is pressed half way, the autofocus takes effect but, if the stepping motor that controls the lens detects the user turning the focus ring, the autofocus disengages? What if it stayed off until you double clicked the shutter button?

Why use a touch screen or a computer menu when a button would do?
    When these things are used, why don't the designers use standardized designs?

Apple spent lots of time and money developing the mothballed Xerox Star into a useable, marketable system. Now, the GUI is a virtual worldwide standard. Why? Because somebody thought about technology and how to apply it to a purpose.

Why are people being labelled "Luddite" because they demand that technology be applied in a thoughtful manner?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Absolutely! It's not about the use of a technology toward a particular purpose. It is about the use of technology because we CAN.

If I didn't want technology I'd join the Amish.

My problem with autofocus is because I don't like machines that override human decisions and make it more difficult to use manually. Sigma's autofocus firmware is great but I would rather have the option to enable or disable autofocus at a moment's notice. How about a system where, when the shutter button is pressed half way, the autofocus takes effect but, if the stepping motor that controls the lens detects the user turning the focus ring, the autofocus disengages? What if it stayed off until you double clicked the shutter button?

Why use a touch screen or a computer menu when a button would do?
    When these things are used, why don't the designers use standardized designs?

Apple spent lots of time and money developing the mothballed Xerox Star into a useable, marketable system. Now, the GUI is a virtual worldwide standard. Why? Because somebody thought about technology and how to apply it to a purpose.

Why are people being labelled "Luddite" because they demand that technology be applied in a thoughtful manner?
    Because, one reason why some are drawn to technology is insecurity. Point that out, and they snap back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damn straight!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin