Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,957   Online: 984

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    How about a system where, when the shutter button is pressed half way, the autofocus takes effect but, if the stepping motor that controls the lens detects the user turning the focus ring, the autofocus disengages? What if it stayed off until you double clicked the shutter button?
    I think the canon USM and their counterpart from Nikon does that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I'm ever in the market for a new digicam I'll have to check that out.

Maybe in another life.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What is auto focus? Is that like when you set your tripod up on the roof of your car and then look under
    the darkcloth? ... heck, I wouldn't buy even a Nikon that requires a battery to operate (and mine don't!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is Otto focus. That's when a German manually focuses his Leica. There also Manuel focus where a Mexican photographer shoots his Leica also.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No need to be negative about an idea or product just because it includes electronics/computers. Get past the "firmware update" jargon and consider this:

All complex optical systems, like cameras, need careful alignment to tight tolerances. Sometimes they go out of alignment. Sometimes different components are each within tolerance but together are not optimal. This isn't new. It's happened since the first rangefinder. Every SLR system relies on perfect correlation between the distance to focussing screen via mirror, and the distance to the film plane. Ctein and Mike Johnston have written about the challenges of getting/keeping manual focus SLRs aligned. Add autofocus to the mix, and it's more components and optical paths to keep aligned. As a result, picky photographers for decades have done one of two things --- exchanged lenses and bodies until they got two that worked perfectly together, or sent their cameras AND lenses in to the factory to ensure they all worked perfectly together. Of course manual focus cameras can't be tweaked electronically like this, but they still may need to be tweaked. Instead of adjusting an electronic number +/-, someone has to get in there and start shimming and bending and filing.

Now, thanks to this USB-firmware-coaster-thingy, you have another choice. Keep your camera and lens, and have a play at being your own service centre with this device. Of course it doesn't appeal to everybody -- and if it doesn't appeal to you, don't use it. But I like the idea that I can optimize my gear without sending it away somewhere, or relying on somebody else, or wondering how often I need to send it back. I like to tinker, and if I can plug in my lens to do so, that's great!

Camera makers have recently come to the same conclusion. The top-tier cameras now allow the user to tweak the camera side of autofocus. This is a good tool, one that would have been useful in the autofocus film days too! Sigma have simply closed the loop, and provided the one missing tool for self-calibration -- the lens side. I'm not sure why it's so contentious to be given more control over your tools?

I'll also point out that Sigma have a public-relations reason for providing this tool. I like and shoot Sigma lenses, but often get told by other photographers that they would "never" shoot Sigma, because they "aren't compatible" with their (Nikon/Canon/whatever) cameras, or often need to be sent back to Sigma to make them compatible. This is an over-exaggerated idea, but it has convinced people to avoid Sigma lenses. This "firmware update" tool directly deals with that complaint... it says you won't be stuck with an incompatible lens and you won't have to send it in to the factory if you buy a new camera.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Photography is a huge subject and I can understand how autofocus and auto systems can be useful in certain situations/applications. What I object to is when a computer is dictating aesthetic decisions for those who wish to use a camera and film as a creative medium.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There are also reliability issues. You could probably design a fancy expensive robot to follow and kill a rattlesnake, but an ordinary shovel would be a lot more reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    There are also reliability issues. You could probably design a fancy expensive robot to follow and kill a rattlesnake, but an ordinary shovel would be a lot more reliable.
    Damn--you just stole my idea. I was just sitting here thinking of making a prototype of a digital shovel. I'm still working on a digital gun that doesn't need bullets. Haven't got the kinks ironed out yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Wow.

What a bunch of Luddite whingeing and ignorance, the lot of you (except hoffy. hoffy is cool )
    Damn, I can't find my big old dictionary
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's because we don't use dictionaries anymore. We look things up on Google, now.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin