Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,654   Online: 958

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's faster to use the dictionary, and you don't have to worry about the DSL running slow. But's it all
    doomed anyway.... kids texting of cell phones have eliminated the need for vowels. Case in point, one
    pothead to another : HDDDDDD .... translation: "Hey, Doooooood"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard an ad on the radio today. The company is selling digital pianos.
    And here I thought that they were digital from day one.
    Last edited by richard ide; 04-26-2013 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: slepping
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Generally:

Not everyone that uses film uses it for slow moving or still subjects. Perhaps that is your idea of what film photography is, don't assume that it's universal.

Maybe you don't need or want autofocus, good for you. What prerogative does that give you to judge what others want or need?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Know what you mean. My day job is tech support at a university. I'm burned out on technology. I've seen too many tech solutions looking for a problem.
    What's the problem with a digital device (most modern AF lenses are) having a digital maintenance facility like firmware upgrades? If you choose not to use them either use a MF lens or an old AF on your film cameras. BTW one can still be a Luddite and work in a tech field. You could be maintaining old Cobol code for all I know or care. What one does for a living is a popular but mostly irrelevant reinforcement of personal opinion on internet forums generally. OzJohn

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a roll of Rollei IR 400 in my camera right now (my first IR roll ever). I hope the IR filter I use, which is labeled as a digital filter, doesn't block all the analog IR, otherwise I'm screwed. Oh wait, electromagnetic radiation also exists as discrete photons, which means digital.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think it is great that there is a way for the end user to calibrate and modify a lens the way they want to.
    i don't think it is too much technology at all. its like getting a FREE CLA, whenever you want.

i think all these " look at what digital-people are doing now " or " toy cameras suck" threads are getting rather annoying.

i wonder if there is an all digital site where users post links to apug
    and roll their eyes about everything posted here ...
    probably

The idea is to "make" an image, the tool you use is up to you. I've seen award winning images come from instamatics because its all about composition and creativity not what you use to make an image.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    BTW one can still be a Luddite and work in a tech field.
    It is my understanding that Luddites were not strictly opposed to technology but were more opposed to the way it was used.

They considered machines to be a way to increase productivity and to make the work people do better but when machines were used to replace skilled workers with low-payed, unskilled workers, that is when they drew the line.

I like technology but I often don't like the way it is used. When machines override human judgement, especially when it becomes difficult to override automation and apply judgement, I draw the line.

I think technology should be used to help people to perform work better, not to replace workers. While I like the idea of Sigma's lenses, I'm still not completely sold. It seems like technology for its own sake, to me.

Photography as art should be made from human work and creativity, not from a machine or a computer program.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    It is my understanding that Luddites were not strictly opposed to technology but were more opposed to the way it was used.

They considered machines to be a way to increase productivity and to make the work people do better but when machines were used to replace skilled workers with low-payed, unskilled workers, that is when they drew the line.

I like technology but I often don't like the way it is used. When machines override human judgement, especially when it becomes difficult to override automation and apply judgement, I draw the line.

I think technology should be used to help people to perform work better, not to replace workers. While I like the idea of Sigma's lenses, I'm still not completely sold. It seems like technology for its own sake, to me.

Photography as art should be made from human work and creativity, not from a machine or a computer program.
    I'm not going to disagree with you there. A lot of the time a lot of functionality is introduced to sell widgets as opposed to improve widgets. The megapixel arms race of the noughties was a prime example.

That being said, I was dead against things such as smart phones and the like, but I have become quite a convert recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about technology and human endeavors like art. On an other note, I hope all this new defense technology won't be a substitute for diplomacy. I don't like how drones are used.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are using a smart phone to be more productive and to help make the work you do better, then all right.

If you are using a smart phone just because it's the latest gadget, no good.

I was told that Amish people don't use phones just because they don't want technology. It is partly because they have a religious requirement to remain separate from "English" society but it's also because they believe that, if you want to talk to your neighbor, it is better to get your lazy butt off the sofa, walk down the road and knock on your friend's door. The Amish place a high value on face-to-face contact and personal interaction. Not a bad value to have, really.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin