Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 810

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this too much technology?

I find a lens with firmware that you can tweak is pointless. I rarely use autofocus . I'm just an old cat that's too habituated to manual focus. It's like breathing for me.

http://vimeo.com/64665246
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Different strokes for different folks.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I find a lens with firmware that you can tweak is pointless. I rarely use autofocus . I'm just an old cat that's too habituated to manual focus. It's like breathing for me.

http://vimeo.com/64665246
    I won't even watch the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had an auto-focus lens in my life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You don't know what your missing..

Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    Never had an auto-focus lens in my life.
    Not!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's too much for me.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I "like" autofocus lenses, I'm just not comfortable with them.

They don't always focus the way I want. They don't always focus at the same thing I am looking at. They don't always decide on what is in focus or out of focus the way I decide.

Much of the time an autofocus lens can be helpful but I find that, just as much of the time, I have to figure out some way to trick the lens into focusing the way I want it to. This programmable lens seems like a neat idea but, to be honest, it just seems like another thing I'd have to learn how to trick into working the way I want it to. A lot more expensive and time consuming, too.

To be honest, I'd rather just turn a dial or twist a ring until I get things to look the way I want them to. :|
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I won't even watch the link.
    I don't even like things that use batteries. If it has a built in chip, I won't use it - unless it's a calculator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing to realize is that this is not an improvement. In this case the firmware is used to correct for less strict quality control in production (or potentially even worse - engineering). You see, before all this focus micro-adjustments, the manufacturers were forced to calibrate their devices to much tighter tolerances before the device got shipped, otherwise they would have to deal with it as a warranty repair. Now - no big deal, the customer can do calibration themselves if they are so picky. In other words, they just made a bad product quality into a feature for which the customer can pay extra. Pure marketing genius!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To all that hate auto-focus, I just hope your eyesight holds up. If not, you will come to accept/love it or give up photography all together.. says Bob knocking on the door to 70 with a developing cataract in his right eye.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin