Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,675   Online: 806

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Stopped down photography with Canon A1

Is it possible to change the A1 screen and get around the 1/2 dark rangefinder when in stopped down photography?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This should be possible, but f I remember correctly, only by the serviee teams
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not exactly sure what you mean, but do you mean that when you depress the DOF preview lever, one half of the rangefinder goes black?

If so, not sure there is too much you can do about that, just focus without the DOF preview lever down I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know about changing the screen but I use a old FL 55/1.2 lens in my A1 - the lens does not have an auto stop down mechanism so I have to shoot with the DOF lever locked in to make the lens stop down when I twist the Fstop ring. The camera will meter correctly on auto - the Fstop data does not appear in the finder, only the shutter speed. I focus with the lens open at 1.2 and then stop down to shoot. I don't care that the split image goes dark as I've already focused. You would need to find a non-split image finder to avoid the dark finder when stopped down. I honestly prefer the split image focus screens to any other screens that I've used in other cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What about when shooting macro. Your looking for dof in stopped down mode and there's a half moon in black at the center of your image. Wonderful. So I guess there's no screen available without a rangefinder?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Found out there is a plain matte screen made for the A1. I just need to find one. I'll be checking my tech to see if he has the part and can do the job.
    W.A. Crider

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more sensitive a split-image rangefinder is, the sooner it blacks out when image luminance is reduced.

Generally there are screens that differ in wedge angle of the rangefinder.

The New F-1 and the AE-1 Program got rangefinders with two-angle wedges.

If you are very lucky one of those new, interchangable screens could be machined to be fixed in your A-1.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Generally there are screens that differ in wedge angle of the rangefinder.
    The New F-1 and the AE-1 Program got rangefinders with two-angle wedges.
    It must be "focussing aid" instead of rangefinder.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin