Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,810   Online: 1062

Thread: olympus om10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

olympus om10

hi with my next paycheck after i put 1/2 into the bank, i was thinking of buying a om10 because of how cheap the lenses and bodies are. i was wondering if they are worth money quality wise. my parents will be mad because of the amount of money i am spending on photography (im only 15)seeing i just bought a n80 2 months ago and a m645 outfit last week and still waiting for it to arrive from keh.com well any info on the om10 would be great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daft question but why do you want another 35mm camera? I ask because you can set the N80 to manual and do everything yourself with that one that you can with an OM10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just to use as a carry around camera cuz of how cheap the lenses are there is a 50m in bargain condition at keh for only like 11.99

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My recommendation is stick to one system, otherwise you will be building Nikon and Olympus collections. Although it's cheap, in the long run buying lenses that are not compatible is going to cost you a lot more as you will probably decide on the same lenses for both. I'd keep an eye open for a cheap 3rd party lens that is Nikon fit, but that's just my opinion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OM10 bodies have a patchy reputation - if the circuit board dies (and they do, like all electronic cameras) the camera is dead and repairs are hard. If you really want an OM body, a 2n would be a better option. But it will only lead you into temptation.

Unless you can show a compelling reason for the hardware, I'd put the money towards film. You have to feed that 645 somehow. Starving a camera is a serious crime, you know!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others that it is probably best to stick to one system. That said, my wife and I both have OM10s, along with OM2s and 4Tis and love them. They have been dropped, wet, covered in mud on archaeological digs etc, and both still work perfectly after tens of thousands of pictures over close to 20 years. They are a good introduction to the OM system for when you want to move up, and are still good second bodies once you have. They aren't worth getting without the separate manual shutter speed adaptor though, so make sure you can get one, otherwise, they are auto only.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I grew up on an OM1 and I am sure I will have one again sometime in my life. I recently got really interested in getting one, then my brother got me a Nikon FE.

You can get an FM or FE in bargain for $105 at KEH, and use your Nikons lenses. That is cheaper than the OM10 bodies I see.

Also, you can get some nice glass inexpensively for the Nikon. I really like the 100mm F2.8 series E lens (about $53 in Bargain).

Don't get into the mode of collecting, though. Put your money and efforts into making photographs. Buy lots of film and pay for processing. When you are older and stuck at work most of the time, you can spend a lot of time daydreaming (obsessing) about your next camera purchase. Not that I have any experience with that...

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you for all your answers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin