Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,544   Online: 855

Shooter
    35mm

Misaligned Mirror Problem

Hi everybody,

Some Kyocera-Contax SLRs such as the RTS/RTS II and the AX are said to have it, and two of my Yashica TL Electros definitely do have it, the nasty habit of having their mirrors creep down the mountings until they protrude as far as to collide with the rear elements of the lenses--or some lenses, at least--and get stuck.

(Now I do know that some M42 lenses are simply incompatible with some M42 camera models, yet this is not my point here. I'm quite sure this is a mirror issue.)

With M42 cameras worth 30 bucks or so each, a professional repair service is out of the question, of course. On the other hand, I'm not prepared to always keep in mind which of my lenses I may use with which of my cameras without chipping or breaking their mirrors.

That's why I'm thinking of tinkering around a little with those cameras myself. My idea is to use a hair-dryer to apply some moderate heat to the mirrors, hoping to soften the glue underneath so that I can gently push them back where they belong. So much for the theory anyway...

Bright idea? Soft idea? Is there anybody around who tried something like that before?

Any helpful hints would be gladly appreciated.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had this occur with my Yashica FX-D and all I did was place the camera on the front porch, in the sun, for an hour or so. The glue is then soft enough to push the mirror back up. I then dabbed the bottom corners each with a little super glue. It seems to work fine.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Excellent idea. Sometimes the simplest approach is the best.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I've had this occur with my Yashica FX-D and all I did was place the camera on the front porch, in the sun, for an hour or so. The glue is then soft enough to push the mirror back up. I then dabbed the bottom corners each with a little super glue. It seems to work fine.

That sure sounds like good news (and all the better for the fact that the FX-D--I own three of them--is one of my favorite Yashica models).

Thanks a lot, Wolfeye, I'll try this as soon as anything resembling sun is in sight here...

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This blog post is from a member here detailing how he dealt with the issue.
    http://no-exif.com/2012/04/18/new-contax-rx-repair/

Shooter
    35mm
    ...and still more helpful info on that problem. Thank you very much indeed, Bruce!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashicano Alemán View Post
    That sure sounds like good news (and all the better for the fact that the FX-D--I own three of them--is one of my favorite Yashica models).

Thanks a lot, Wolfeye, I'll try this as soon as anything resembling sun is in sight here...

Michael

Wolfeye,

Took a while for the sun to come, but yesterday was the first truly hot summer day here, so I decided to try this trick on two Yashica TL Electros--and it worked just fine.

Thanks a lot!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the mirror on your TL Electro hangs up on the lens, then yes, there is slippage, as they were designed to use the Yashinon DX lenses, which protrude into the body more than any other lenses. I haven't had that problem on any M42 Yashica bodies, but have had it on a Contax 137MT and a Yashica FX2. If a warm sunny day is not available, gentle use of a blow dryer will work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin