Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Got a free Nikon FE today

Hey guys,

i talked to lady at one of my shoots, and we got to talking about film cameras. She said she had Nikon that was not being used and was tempted to give it to Goodwill. I said, "I'll take it". So I met with her today and got it. It's a Nikon FE. I gave a look over and everything seems to work OK. No dings or scuffs at all and has the 50mm 1.4 lens. Pretty quick lens. Just looking for the MD-11 motor drive. I thought it would be a nice camera for my kids to shoot with. So if anyone has a MD-11 let me know.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think you want the MD-12, which replaced the MD-11. You should know that the drive and its eight AA batteries add a significant amount of weight, bulk and noise to shooting the FE. I think it's 3.5 frames per second, but you still have to rewind manually.

Great drive, but it is a large accessory. I think it takes away from what made the FE such a popular camera. I have the MD-12, but find that I no longer need to shoot at 3.5 frames per second. And I'm not too lazy to advance the film on my own. Sort of wish it had motorized rewind. Maybe I am lazy.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think an MD-12 will work too and it might be easier to find.

I'm happy for you! Nikon still makes brand new focusing screens and eyepieces for these cameras in case you need them.

Shooter
    35mm
    The diff between the 11 and 12 is mostly the auto battery shut off on the 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    The diff between the 11 and 12 is mostly the auto battery shut off on the 12
    The other difference is when it winds the film. 11 winds when the user releases the shutter button and the 12 winds immediately after shutter release. Not much of a difference, really.

The auto batt shut-off is a good thing. I'd the 11 is left on it will drain batt in both the MD and the camera. I had that ugly surpeise once too often with the 11 that is on my "free" FE.

If I were to do it again I'd get a 12 instead of an 11.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hot damn! Lucky man. My all time favorite SLR. Get the MD12, it'll save you the heartache of dealing with dead batteries for when you forget to turn it off. Also, I got a new screen for mine for $12 from KEH and it installed in about 30 seconds. Fantastic ever since!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

i talked to lady at one of my shoots, and we got to talking about film cameras. She said she had Nikon that was not being used and was tempted to give it to Goodwill. I said, "I'll take it". So I met with her today and got it. It's a Nikon FE. I gave a look over and everything seems to work OK. No dings or scuffs at all and has the 50mm 1.4 lens. Pretty quick lens. Just looking for the MD-11 motor drive. I thought it would be a nice camera for my kids to shoot with. So if anyone has a MD-11 let me know.

ToddB
    You're going to give a camera with motor drive to a kid?
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-14-2013 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not? At about 10 a kid has enough strength to hold a FE with MD. A F3 with MD is a different story - much heavier. My experience with FE/MD and kid has been a good one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Why not? At about 10 a kid has enough strength to hold a FE with MD. A F3 with MD is a different story - much heavier. My experience with FE/MD and kid has been a good one.
    I'm thinking of how much film I at the age of 13 or so burned through without a motor drive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I still do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin