Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,518   Online: 1075

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I did not refer to the mirror (maybe the mirror-lock up will not release automatically after exposure, I don't know), but to that 4mm to contain the distance from film to shutter and the shutter itself.
    Yeah, I didn't elaborate properly. What I meant was, the SWC has no mirror, so the 38 Biogon is fairly close to the film plane. How close, i don't know, but 2-20mm is probably the ballpark. The SWC has a leaf-shutter for taking the exposure, but I don't know if it has a rear focal-plane 'protection shutter' so the rear element isn't exposed when you change backs.
    (afaik the regular hassy 500s have a focal-plane 'protection shutter', but that's more for protecting the film against light leaks when the leaf shutter is open for focussing. The SWC wouldn't have that problem so i don't know if they bothered putting them on).
    Either way, 4mm sounds (to me) enough to at least get a 'protection shutter' in between the 50mm and the film, or you just have to be careful with exposed elements when you change backs. Otherwise it should work quite well in the same way as the SWC, no mirror, just a mount straight to a film back.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are right, I used the wrong term. I guess the common term for such a shutter is "auxilliary shutter".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The depth of focus is only dependant on focal lenght and aperture, not on image size/format.

(I leave aside the issue of enlarging and circle of confusion.)

Furthermore Kubrick used the lens on a viewfinder camera. Focussing was most probably done done by means of tape.
    Oh! So not movie size....

Also when I mentioned the size format, I was thinking of the comment someone made about the physical size of the glass, and I was saying of it were closer to an APS size area, the glass wouldn't have to be as big to pull off f/0.70 that's all.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Oh! So not movie size....

Also when I mentioned the size format, I was thinking of the comment someone made about the physical size of the glass, and I was saying of it were closer to an APS size area, the glass wouldn't have to be as big to pull off f/0.70 that's all.

Yes, movie size.

But not necessarily a TTL viewing and focusing movie camera.

IMDb says: Arriflex 35 BL
    Mitchell BNC Cameras
    Zeiss High Speed Lenses
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I'm also confused at it covering 6x6. 50mm on 6x6 is pretty wide. Maybe the sign meant to say "was based on", ie a 50mm 'normal' planar based on an 80mm 'normal' planar.
    I would think that, being as the lens was made exclusively for NASA, the specs would be a bit different than for open market stuff. NASA might well have been fine with vignetting as long as it was a fast enough lens for whatever the target mission was.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone,

Yes, 35 cine format. There were viewfinder cine-cameras, actually in the past they had been the majority. But in this case not a viewfinder camera in the actual meaning. I have to correct myself on that.
    Kubrick used a camera where he could employ the lens alternatively, though clumsy, for taking and viewing. So he could focus via that lens.

Nevertheless for that 0.7 lens the omission of the reflex system and the making of a proprietory lens mount was not sufficient. Further re-building of the camera was necessary.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stone,

Yes, 35 cine format. There were viewfinder cine-cameras, actually in the past they had been the majority. But in this case not a viewfinder camera in the actual meaning. I have to correct myself on that.
    Kubrick used a camera where he could employ the lens alternatively, though clumsy, for taking and viewing. So he could focus via that lens.

Nevertheless for that 0.7 lens the omission of the reflex system and the making of a proprietory lens mount was not sufficient. Further re-building of the camera was necessary.
    Ahh gotcha, thanks!

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.marcocavina.com/omaggio_a_kubrick.htm
    http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm
    More than one could ever want to know about this peculiarity of cinema.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for those links LiamG, especially the first one! I remember seeing this film in a theater many years ago when it first came out. Back then I knew even less about photography than I do now, and was amazed at what I was seeing. It's a unique film, and the shots from that lens are just incredible. As someone else mentioned, as great as the interior shots are, the landscapes are stunning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin