Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 884

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kubrick's 50mm f/0.7

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. Although many of us have heard of the fabled Barry Lindon Lens, I got to see it in person! The LACMA is having a Stanley Kubrick exhibit and I went specifically for the Zeiss 50mm f/0.7. I photographed it with my own high-speed lens, the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 wide open with an F2S and Fujichrome T64 pushed one stop. I should say I "tried" to photograph it; it was behind glass, no flash allowed of course, plus I skipped lunch in favor of a double old-fashioned at the museum's bar before seeing the show So, the shot below is all you get.

The f/0.7 is surprisingly unremarkable in person. If I found it in a box somewhere, I probably would've assumed it was a projecting lens or something!

I plan to go back before the show ends. If I do, I'll think about biting the bullet and bringing a DSLR instead. But I probably won't

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HKD_8581_stitch.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	895.1 KB 
ID:	68089

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    He had 3 of these. Only 10 were built. Zeiss kept one and NASA had the others.

Nice!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    That's a lot more impressive knowing that they originally were built to cover 6x6. Not that a 35mm coverage lens at that speed would be anything forgettable...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Interesting lens, and I liked reading the card with the lens. What is the LACMA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LACMA= Los Angeles County Museum of Art
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just filming with my poor-man's version of that lens last weekend. This one is a Switar f/0.9. The dark disk is a series-size N.D. filter to allow wide-open shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't tell me you missed the good one in the exhibit!

Carl Zeiss 50mm f/0.7 Planar by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    35mm
    I must've!

Your illustration is much better than mine; I always forget about my iphone in my pocket.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    wow, how was it possible to make such a lens for 6x6 when they don't even have anything smaller than one 2.8 for hassleblad/mamiya normally, is it just the expense or is it more difficult? I just find it strange, my Mamiya 7 would be so much better if there were a 1.8 option let alone a 0.70 option but it doesn't even have a 2.8, 4 is all you get.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    wow, how was it possible to make such a lens for 6x6 when they don't even have anything smaller than one 2.8 for hassleblad/mamiya normally, is it just the expense or is it more difficult? I just find it strange, my Mamiya 7 would be so much better if there were a 1.8 option let alone a 0.70 option but it doesn't even have a 2.8, 4 is all you get.
    Can you imagine the trouble required to get a M7 to focus something like that accurately? It just wouldn't work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin