Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,034   Online: 776

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon users, take note

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Informative, thanks for sharing this link
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm guilty of watching for cameras in movies... have been for a long time. "Blow Up" was very influential for me being about 20 when I saw it. I already had a Nikon F plain prism, but I wanted his shirt too. Would be my official street shooting shirt. Stupid, right. But, I still have the camera, but not the shirt. (which is a good thing I guess)
    I enjoy seeing what kind of cameras are used in movies, but as a photographer, how accurately they are used. Too many times it's just a prop, with no knowledge of how it even operates. And it always seems that certain cameras are used for certain character types. War, documentary, and press photogs seem to get Nikons. Artists, serious students, and other creative types seem to get Leicas. One exception, John Waters film, "Pecker" the story of a young poor photographer in Baltimore, uses a Canonet 28. This was one of the best and funniest films I've ever seen about photography, and the business of art photography.
    Another fave for me was "We'll Take Manhattan", the supposed story of British photographer, David Bailey and model Jean Shrimpton. The actor Aneurin Barnard seemed to handle the Pentax Sv quite realistically. I read later that he indeed did learn how to use the camera during the filming, and even loaded the camera with film and took pictures during the filming that everyone was unaware of. I don't know how true this is but it sounds like fun. (actually sounds a little like Jeff Bridges)
    I just hope that cameras used in future movies are considered more than just props, but as tools that should be handled properly to be believable, even if everyone watching doesn't have any camera knowledge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, not "Brewster McCloud"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what camera Pecker was using in John Waters' film?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    So what camera Pecker was using in John Waters' film?
    It's been awhile, but if memory serves, it was a Canon "Canonet 28". It looks like the later Canonets but this has an f2.8 lens, and auto exposure only.
    Do I have one? Yup! (somewhere)

Shooter
    35mm
    City of God is one of my favorite movies ever. I always get out my 135/3.5 when I watch it, as the main character uses that lens during the film's climax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, here's another one to figure out. John Wayne in the 1974 movie, "McQ" is seen sitting in a car (Firebird?) with a Nikon F taking pictures. I always thought he had a Nikkor 80-200mm zoom on the camera, but I just checked out a photo on ebay, and it doesn't look like the Nikon lens to me. It looks more like a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 zoom. But I don't think these were made until after 1975. I can't find any other photos like this to see if there were more than one promo photo. And what lens is that anyway?
    This comment is based on the premise that you don't have anything better to do than worry about movie trivia. Sorry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    sadly most of those movies are 20-30 years ago haha, in the industry (movie industry) you'll see more Canon products, especially now that they use the Canon's to FILM the movies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I watched Under Fire again a few days ago and Nick Nolte really handles his Nikon gear convincingly like a pro, David Hemmings in Blow Up is a lot less convincing, but the part was originally offered to David Bailey by Michelangelo Antonioni the director, but Bailey although he would have liked to do it had to refused it because he's dyslectic and would have had terrible trouble learning the lines.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin