Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,529   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Late model Nikon bodies with matte screens.

I'm trying to get a hold on which later model Nikon bodies, specifically F series (A,M,E,G) and N bodies came with a matte screen without a split image rangefinder. (Which usually goes black in stop down mode.) Thanks
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm pretty sure all those cameras came stock with the "K" split/microprism screen.

Edit: I see you included the N's as well, I don't know anything about that series of Nikons, can't help you there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I'm trying to get a hold on which later model Nikon bodies, specifically F series (A,M,E,G) and N bodies came with a matte screen without a split image rangefinder. (Which usually goes black in stop down mode.) Thanks
    All of the manual focus cameras came with the split image rangefinder. A number of them you can change the focusing screen. All of the auto focus don't have split image.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    All of the manual focus cameras came with the split image rangefinder. A number of them you can change the focusing screen. All of the auto focus don't have split image.
    That figures on the AF. Why would you need it.

Anyone here shoot a FG with non-Ai lenses. It's suppose to meter with them on. I bet in stop down tho.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if this is a consideration but the Nikon K3 screen - released with the FM3A but usable in the FA, FM2, FE2, is a split image rangefinder that will never go dark using slow lenses, stop down or even bellows.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FG is not intended to mount non AI lenses but if you're able to then it will meter. Of course you can use it in aperture priority too.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FG doesn't have a DOF preview lever, so it can't stop down the lens to working aperture for metering with the normal Nikkors with automatic diaphragm. And to mount a Non-Ai lens will be difficult, at least with some Nikkor lens as they have a ridge surrounding the mount that will clash with the AI tab on the body.
    For lens without automatic diaphragm or preset aperture, then it can meter at the working aperture.

If you want a body that can use AI and Non-Ai lens, look for one with a movable AI tab: the original FM and FE, as well as the Nikon (Nikkormat series) EL2 or the FT3, as well as the F2, F3 or F4. They all came from factory prepared for that compatibility.

About the K3 screen: be aware that if used with those earlier cameras, some exposure compensation maybe needed as the meter system isn't made for that screen. The K3 is brighter than the previous K2 or K screens. See here: http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...ml/screens.htm
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    The FG doesn't have a DOF preview lever, so it can't stop down the lens to working aperture for metering with the normal Nikkors with automatic diaphragm. And to mount a Non-Ai lens will be difficult, at least with some Nikkor lens as they have a ridge surrounding the mount that will clash with the AI tab on the body.
    My pre-AI Nikkors fit on my FG. The ridge does not seem to interfere with the AI tab.

EDIT: My 105mm f2.5 pushes the tab back towards the body a little but it is not a tight fit and doesn't impede the movement of the aperture ring. I suspect though that there might be some variance between lenses either by design or by tolerance. The 35mm Nikkor-S fits with no problems. My 200mm Nikkor - Q C is the same as the 105mm and my 50mm Nikkor - S has had a file taken to it by a previous owner to mate with the AI tab but I suspect that without it, it too would mount the same as the 105mm

Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The FG is not intended to mount non AI lenses but if you're able to then it will meter. Of course you can use it in aperture priority too.
    The aperture stops down when the shutter is fired but how can it meter if it doesn't know how far away from wide open, the aperture is set?

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-05-2013 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    That figures on the AF. Why would you need it.

Anyone here shoot a FG with non-Ai lenses. It's suppose to meter with them on. I bet in stop down tho.
    I think Nikon didn't dare to include the split image in the AF cameras because it would reveal AF inaccuracy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I was thinking of another body. For the FG they would have to be converted.
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin