Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,529   Online: 836
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,278
    Images
    2

    Late model Nikon bodies with matte screens.

    I'm trying to get a hold on which later model Nikon bodies, specifically F series (A,M,E,G) and N bodies came with a matte screen without a split image rangefinder. (Which usually goes black in stop down mode.) Thanks
    W.A. Crider

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    115
    I'm pretty sure all those cameras came stock with the "K" split/microprism screen.

    Edit: I see you included the N's as well, I don't know anything about that series of Nikons, can't help you there.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I'm trying to get a hold on which later model Nikon bodies, specifically F series (A,M,E,G) and N bodies came with a matte screen without a split image rangefinder. (Which usually goes black in stop down mode.) Thanks
    All of the manual focus cameras came with the split image rangefinder. A number of them you can change the focusing screen. All of the auto focus don't have split image.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,278
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    All of the manual focus cameras came with the split image rangefinder. A number of them you can change the focusing screen. All of the auto focus don't have split image.
    That figures on the AF. Why would you need it.

    Anyone here shoot a FG with non-Ai lenses. It's suppose to meter with them on. I bet in stop down tho.
    W.A. Crider

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    893
    I don't know if this is a consideration but the Nikon K3 screen - released with the FM3A but usable in the FA, FM2, FE2, is a split image rangefinder that will never go dark using slow lenses, stop down or even bellows.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    893
    The FG is not intended to mount non AI lenses but if you're able to then it will meter. Of course you can use it in aperture priority too.

  7. #7
    Ricardo Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    866
    The FG doesn't have a DOF preview lever, so it can't stop down the lens to working aperture for metering with the normal Nikkors with automatic diaphragm. And to mount a Non-Ai lens will be difficult, at least with some Nikkor lens as they have a ridge surrounding the mount that will clash with the AI tab on the body.
    For lens without automatic diaphragm or preset aperture, then it can meter at the working aperture.

    If you want a body that can use AI and Non-Ai lens, look for one with a movable AI tab: the original FM and FE, as well as the Nikon (Nikkormat series) EL2 or the FT3, as well as the F2, F3 or F4. They all came from factory prepared for that compatibility.

    About the K3 screen: be aware that if used with those earlier cameras, some exposure compensation maybe needed as the meter system isn't made for that screen. The K3 is brighter than the previous K2 or K screens. See here: http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...ml/screens.htm
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

  8. #8
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,716
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    The FG doesn't have a DOF preview lever, so it can't stop down the lens to working aperture for metering with the normal Nikkors with automatic diaphragm. And to mount a Non-Ai lens will be difficult, at least with some Nikkor lens as they have a ridge surrounding the mount that will clash with the AI tab on the body.
    My pre-AI Nikkors fit on my FG. The ridge does not seem to interfere with the AI tab.

    EDIT: My 105mm f2.5 pushes the tab back towards the body a little but it is not a tight fit and doesn't impede the movement of the aperture ring. I suspect though that there might be some variance between lenses either by design or by tolerance. The 35mm Nikkor-S fits with no problems. My 200mm Nikkor - Q C is the same as the 105mm and my 50mm Nikkor - S has had a file taken to it by a previous owner to mate with the AI tab but I suspect that without it, it too would mount the same as the 105mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The FG is not intended to mount non AI lenses but if you're able to then it will meter. Of course you can use it in aperture priority too.
    The aperture stops down when the shutter is fired but how can it meter if it doesn't know how far away from wide open, the aperture is set?


    Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-05-2013 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    That figures on the AF. Why would you need it.

    Anyone here shoot a FG with non-Ai lenses. It's suppose to meter with them on. I bet in stop down tho.
    I think Nikon didn't dare to include the split image in the AF cameras because it would reveal AF inaccuracy.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,278
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post

    Anyone here shoot a FG with non-Ai lenses. It's suppose to meter with them on. I bet in stop down tho.
    I was thinking of another body. For the FG they would have to be converted.
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin