Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,769   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    John,

I'm sure I'm not the only one round here who'd be really keen on learning about the story behind the first two images you posted...

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My ML 50/2 and DSB 50/1.9 lenses were terrific so I'm guessing the 50/2 that you describe has taken a fall or something.
    I agree. 50 is my favorite focal length and they are some of the cheapest lenses to be found. Over the years I've tried many (Nikon, Contax, Yashica, Leica, Canon, Mamiya, Fujinon, etc). They vary in character (contrast, bokeh, build quality fit and feel) but I've yet to find one that was not tack sharp at least when closed 1 or 2 stops.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashicano Alemán View Post
    John,

I'm sure I'm not the only one round here who'd be really keen on learning about the story behind the first two images you posted...

Michael
    Got to be an Australian thing. Guaranteed. :-)
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 05-20-2013 at 11:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Got to be an Australian thing. Guaranteed. :-)

I suspected as much as ... yes ... it does look kind of ... uh ... Australian (I'd rather not try to fancy what it might smell like)...

But what is it all about? Art? Religion?--Food??

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashicano Alemán View Post
    I suspected as much as ... yes ... it does look kind of ... uh ... Australian (I'd rather not try to fancy what it might smell like)...

But what is it all about? Art? Religion?--Food??

Michael
    They are skinned fox carcases left to dry on a fence in country Victoria, Australia. They don't smell at all but none of them where fresh at the time either. They've been there for years and there are new ones added from time to time. I find them quite interesting.

I've not spoken with the particular landowner who's strung out those foxes but have asked others what it's about and have been told a few stories. The most plausible seems that displaying the foxes lets neighbours know that they're around and to look out for them. Some councils pay a bounty on them as foxes can eat small animals and cause havoc. Just yesterday I saw the remains (two separate legs) of what must have been a very cute bunny rabbit which I suspect was the work of a fox. Although rabbits are vermin and won't be missed.

Mamiya M645 80/2.8 at F2.8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    My ML 50/2 and DSB 50/1.9 lenses were terrific so I'm guessing the 50/2 that you describe has taken a fall or something.
    I take it back, it's not rubbish.

My 50/2 is 100% OK and I'm pretty sure it's typical based on the performance I've seen posted by others from other samples. I'm just not impressed with it in any way, it doesn't have any character or qualities that make me want to use it, but it's certainly an OK lens.

If you only have $15 to spend a lens then it will be fine, but I think most people can do better.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see. Thanks for the info!

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks to all!...what about the 50 1.7?thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Please!help me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica made some very nice equipment. Back in the day they were well regarded. I owned a 50mm 1.4 and found it to be very capable. I have a 1.7 on my Yashica GTN rangefinder, and it is very sharp.

Yashica lost out to Canon/Nikon, like so many others, but it was not for lack of quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin