Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 824

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: plastic optics

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nick,

You are right, there is two options to make a plastic aspheric element , first mold complete lens from plastic , second taking a glass lens and adhesive a plastic aspherical attachment on to glass lens. I use only Leica and Rollei cameras and when even Nikon cant compete with Leica with glass lenses, I bet nobody cant compete with plastic lenses.

I showed a way , if you experiment with one of designs , laser or water jet cutting or 3d printing is a way to have fun.

Additionally , if you add nanopowders like titanium dioxide to acrylic , you can have extreme refractive indexes like 4 or so.

But nanopowdered plastic thick products tends to crack , everyone Works on thin coatings.

There is also , film based lenses like zoneplates or so.

My best bet and greatest fun could be attach a plastic anamorphic attachments on to large format cameras or cine cameras or digital cine cameras. If holga sells 40 dollar lens , someone could sell to digital canon owners a anamorphic attachment.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Glass adds to the weight of a camera, which needs to be sufficiently heavy to cut down vibration.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    cliveh,

You are a Leica 2 user and as you experience elmar lens is lightweight. The heavy part is brass body.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    cliveh,

You are a Leica 2 user and as you experience elmar lens is lightweight. The heavy part is brass body.
    But mostly I am an M2 user and a 50mm 1.4 Summilux is not so lightweight.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    ...designing is very difficult for me.
    One thing you might try is to download the free version of WinLens, now known as Qioptiq. With that program you can play with various design ideas. That might help you develop some insight into the design process. They also have downloads of lens libraries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite pleasing exhibition quality wall-mounted prints (about 90cm square) have been produced from a friend's Holga. He is the manager of the lab where all my E6 and A-D printing takes place. The camera itself is rudimentary, plastic right down to its shiny lens, and rather myopic, but the images coming from it have the style that is common the PC lenses which have tilt/swing applied to restrict DoF and lateral sharpness. The lack of any fast shutter speeds also provides some opportunity to exploit dynamic movement to further accentuate the simple nature of the plastic lens. So a toy camera certainly can be used to creative effect even though it won't knock the glue off a $5,000 lens. Apples and oranges, people love the results from Holgas and Dianas; even I might be the next person to line one up on my shelf. We're not all after razor-sharp results as the so-called "holy grail" of imaging. It's occasionally quite good and satisfying to swing the other way and turn feral for a bit of fun.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-13-2013 at 05:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plastic lenses in certain uses can produce decent results. If plastic lenses were anywhere near the quality of glass lenses, the lens manufacturers would have switched over years ago.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Plastic lenses in certain uses can produce decent results. If plastic lenses were anywhere near the quality of glass lenses, the lens manufacturers would have switched over years ago.
    This could not be the all panorama. Every year lens designers produces new products and ordering too many molds and send to the garbage can is a enourmous Money. I watched canon factory tour and their grinding polishing machines are full automatic and extremelly fast. But may be polishing heads are costing too much Money, I dont know. And optical polymer is very expensive while BK7 is peanuts.

In my dreams , I am seeing a 22mm LOMO Square Front Anamorphic Cine lens cut from the acrylic. Its a small television size lens and 25000 dollars used.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    One thing you might try is to download the free version of WinLens, now known as Qioptiq. With that program you can play with various design ideas. That might help you develop some insight into the design process. They also have downloads of lens libraries
    Alan , thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    One thing you might try is to download the free version of WinLens, now known as Qioptiq. With that program you can play with various design ideas. That might help you develop some insight into the design process. They also have downloads of lens libraries.
    The poster on that site is really cool and informative. I love info graphics, and this one has all the different types of lens surfaces and refractive indexes of materials used in common lens designs all in one place.

http://www.winlens.de/index.php?id=14

I would also agree that if manufacturers had found a suitable type of plastic that would match or best glass they would have all switched to it. Molding, cutting, and shaping plastic is much easier than glass. Fixing scratches is usually pretty easy with plastic as well. Anyone who has had a older watch with a acrylic crystal would know, just a little buffing will get them out, while glass needs much more abrasives and polishing time to get out a scratch.

There a number of disposable fixed focus cameras made by Kodak, Fuji, and now Ilford that use plastic lenses which get quite good results too. If more research were done on new plastics or plastic additives maybe there might be new developments that can replace the glass used making everything lighter and cheaper. So far the latest seems to be the development of an array of micro lenses kinda like on a bugs eye, each arranged over its own sensor instead of a set of elements in a barrel, using software the information from those lenses are combined. I think the goal was to make a flatter lens array for applications such as cell phones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin