Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,397   Online: 994

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: plastic optics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How would aberrations be dealt with in a plastic lens?

Glass can be ED, aspherical, apo...all manner of things and corrections. Plastic would require multiple layers, each cancelling out one problem while introducing another.
    OTOH, Cokin has shown for decades how optical quality plastic can be successfully employed as filtration, so I definitely think the process for plastic lenses is there, just not attractive as the labour- and cost-intensive process of manufacturing and refining glass, especially since most of the camera names we know of today have invested heavily in optical glass technology and refinement.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Newest optical poşymers still have lower abbe number than a 70 years old Leica glass and it makes they have more aberrations. Refractive indexes are lower also. There are many magic polymers out there but they are very expensive at US.

Lens mold making is a extremelly high technology and slow process. May be material goes out of tolerances at mold quickly.

There are hundreds of different glasses from glass manufacturers but not more than 20 with polymers , this is the problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    WOW, most of this is well beyond my humble brain.

But, at least theoretically, I do get the impression that (hypothetically), optical parity could be achieved. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 05-14-2013 at 08:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't want to go back to glass lenses in my spectacles!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Wouldn't want to go back to glass lenses in my spectacles!
    +1
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used up my current photo budget. (And I just have to exercise restraint in retirement) But I see lots of toy cameras I'd get in a heartbeat, all with plastic lenses. The Diana 110 camera, (the two lens kit), a Diana Mini, a Holga 6X12 panoramic with the 90mm plastic lens. Those three intrigue me the most.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Nikon kit lens which I believe had some plastic elements: the 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G. The lens mount was plastic too! The images I got from the lens were just fine, plus I had no problem getting it wet and dirty because it was practically disposable. Fast autofocus too. I did hate the awful, awful focusing ring and the lack of an aperture ring.

I gave it to my brother a while ago; I should steal it back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LJ, I have this lens as well and no issues. As near as I can tell the front element at least is plastic. I will say one thing, the darn thing is light as a feather.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Because of plastic "hybrid" aspherical elements, lenses exist today that would simply not have been conceivable without such technology. The practical application of this technology has created an amazing plethora of zoom lenses that are both cheap and optically excellent; for an example, look at what's attached to any digital camera; e.g. the omnipresent 28-300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak had a huge R&D program directed to the commercialization of plastic lenses. This was the basis of the pocket and 126 cartridge cameras. Virtually everything was plastic and easily mass produced. Todays disposable cameras use plastic lenses. Some of the early basic patents were held by EK starting in the 60s.

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin