Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,233   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon SP Rangefinder?

Hey guys,

I was poking around and noticed that Nikon made a rangefinder camera, the SP. Can anyone tell me about it or have one to discribe? I would love to hear about it.Love the look of it.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon made a few rangefinders. 10 or so... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...angefinder.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is great looking camera - for sure excellent shooter as well. Price - like Leica M bodies, even more
    If you find it too expensive for you budget - closest thing in look is nikon F slr with plain prism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a lot of information about the Nikon rangefinders here: http://cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "closest thing in look is nikon F slr with plain prism"

I did notice my FE looks very similar.. I'm sure there is something special with the optics on these camera in general?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    "closest thing in look is nikon F slr with plain prism"

I did notice my FE looks very similar.. I'm sure there is something special with the optics on these camera in general?

Todd
    Only as far as the cost goes.
    Actually, the wideangle lenses are a tad better than the coeval WA lenses made for SLRs; an SLR uses a retrofocus design so the lens' rear element will clear the mirror, a RF camera has no such constraint. All the lenses for the Nikon RF cameras are 50 plus year old designs, which is fine as far as standard and long lenses go, but there have been some improvements (especially in WA design) since these cameras were made.
    Did I mention they're expensive?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Analog uber alles.
    With the perfect graphic, that should be on a T-shirt.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The earliest Nikon rangefinders borrow heavily from both the Zeiss Ikon Contax and Leica rangefinders. Sort of a curios combo of each. The early lenses are based on Zeiss designs.

They're excellent cameras, although I find them to be unnecessarily heavy. The excellent lenses also have considerable weight. I think they weight is comparable to the pre-1945 Zeiss lenses for the Contax -- maybe even a bit heavier.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would love an SP, but I think the S2 is a far more realistic option for most of us (including me).

I also would love to have been able to snatch up some of the S-mount Cosina-Voigtlander lenses when they were still being made; now, I think some of them are as rare and sought-after as the original Nikkors!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just been using a S2 for a while and love that 1:1 viewfinder. Picked up a couple of lenses (here) the 50mm 1.4 and 28mm 3.5, both of which are excellent. Also have the CV 50mm 2.5 which is really superb. The Nikon is not quite as sweet as a good Contax, but still a really solid camera, great to use, except that stupid finger wheel that they copied from the Contax.
    Unfortunately they are more expensive than even the Contaxes, which is a shame as they are still great users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin