Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,268   Posts: 1,534,355   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon F-1 excellent repair experience

Quality camera technicians are hard to find these days, so I thought I would share my recent experience.

The F-1 (second incarnation) I had bought recently had a few problems: the counter did not work and slower shutter speeds were sticky. Otherwise it was fine and I enjoyed taking pictures with it, but I decided to give it a proper CLA and servicing. I wanted to find a repair technician in Canada, but as it turns out, it is next to impossible. I searched various forums, including APUG, for tips on the topic and I finally found Carl at the Allied Camera. Carl is based in Minnesota ans he's been in business since 1973.

Carl fixed the counter and the shutter and CLA-ed the camera. He also re-calibrated the meter for 1.5V batteries. He claims the Wein Cells are fine for voltage, but they are prone to leaking.

As the shutter problems persisted I contacted Carl - he warranties his services - and sent the F-1 back to him. He paid for the return shipping.

I am VERY satisfied with the results and I found Carl's prices quite reasonable for the amount of work he had to do. I would like to recommend him to other APUG members. I now have an F-1 in excellent shape and I am hoping to use it for years to come.

Here are Carl's details for you, please note he closes his business for winter:
    http://alliedcamera.com/index.html
    Last edited by Sepia Hawk; 05-17-2013 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: style
    Kris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Christopher,
    It's always good to hear of quality repair services!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to remember him, I have an real old F-1 (also a FTb) whichI just adore.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to get an FTb as well Jeff.
    Kris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin