Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 862

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"New" FM2, Focus Screen Question

Hi,

I have bought a "new" FM2(N i think) and I'm wondering if there is any way to tell which focusing screen is in this camera? I want to determine what I have got, and whether or not there is a different screen to that is better to make manual focusing easier. I have never had a camera with interchangeable screens before so you can safely assume that I know nothing about this.

I want the best screen because I have a 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens and I want to be able to shoot it wide open as accurately as possible.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the K style screen in mine and it is great for nailing focus.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I also have an FM2N and a 50mm f/1.2 AIS, and I opted for an E3 screen. This works fine for me, even wide open. I'm lucky enough to still have my eyesight, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read several times the descriptions of each of these screens but for the life of me I dont understand which one to choose!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I have read several times the descriptions of each of these screens but for the life of me I dont understand which one to choose!!
    well, then you'll have to trust me--go B3 and never look back (you will only see your eye upside down and tiny if you do)

my eyes are not worth the paper this thread is printed on and i can still use B3 with 50/1.2 wide open

(nothing wrong with the stock K2 either; missed focus will be in your technique, not in the screen)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The K style split prism rangefinder is IMO the easiest to judge precise focus with. Line up the images on either side and you are done, no guessing.

It makes manual focus a joy.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I also think the K is easiest. However, I had a B screen on a recent camera and that was wonderfully uncluttered.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I also think the K is easiest. However, I had a B screen on a recent camera and that was wonderfully uncluttered.
    Had the same experience with my FE2. B screen is great, although I'd still go for the stock K screen.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin