Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,908   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FM2 Film Advance Question

Is it bad to store my FM2 with the shutter cocked ready to shoot? I am guessing long term storage like that is not good, but I dont know that for sure.

What's the real story on if this is good or bad?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I store mine cocked. Auto wind cameras store that way by default.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Autowind cameras have electronic shutters so there is nothing 'cocked' until the power is switched on.

The FM2 is mechanical through and through and the operation and accuracy of the shutter is dependent on a finely balanced spring tension. Leaving it cocked will upset that balance/accuracy so it is best left un-cocked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good point BMbikerider

I still intend to keep mine cocked, the bigger risk for me is not being ready for a shot. Nothing more disappointing than seeing a great shot, raising the camera, focusing, and the shot fleeting away because the camera wasn't cocked.

Had my FM2 for 4ish years now with no appearant change in shutter time.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Autowind cameras have electronic shutters so there is nothing 'cocked' until the power is switched on.

The FM2 is mechanical through and through and the operation and accuracy of the shutter is dependent on a finely balanced spring tension. Leaving it cocked will upset that balance/accuracy so it is best left un-cocked.
    Autowind camera still have the regular spring operated shutter. Electronically controlled shutter is only for the timing of the second curtain. It's still under the same stress if any. However, I read somewhere by Nikon that it's ok to leave the shutter cocked for a long time including fully mechanical shutter like the FM or FM2

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't worry either way, its not a firearm.... but the beauty of Nikons is they can be carried in Condition One safely, just thumb the wind lever open and fire away.

Being a toolmaker I understand intimately the nature of metals. A spring under tension after a while will lose some of its strength. I would leave a camera in storage not cocked.However leaving a camera shutter cocked for a month or 6 probably wouldn't hurt it provided its stored correctly.
    Even so, I feel that you should exercise the shutter of unused cameras once a month, this gives you the excuse to play with your cameras.Unlike firearms dry firing a camera without film/ammo won't hurt it.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the F2 manual tells you to store the camera unwound

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just checked the FM2 manual under storage. Pull batteries, avoid high temp, humidity, naphthaline, camphor. In humid areas put it in a plastic bag with some desiccant.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, the F2 manual specifically says not to leave the shutter cocked. The F3 and FM2n manuals don't say if you should or not.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that the only way to close this case once and for all would be to store two absolutely identical bodies with the same shutter count for ten or more years, one with the shutter cocked and the other without.

Personally, I store my F2 with the shutter uncocked, since the manual says too. I also store my F3 with the shutter uncocked, since its shutter is similar to the F2's. My FM2n is stored with the shutter cocked since it has more in common with modern shutters such as those found in the F90 and F4, both of which have built-in motor drives.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you have an MD12 on the FM2, isn't the shutter going to be cocked until you remove it, or finish the roll?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin