Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,618   Online: 757

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikkor 28-105 AFD ??

The lens barrel on my Nikkor 28-105 AF-D lens has considerable wobble as it is extended to longer reaches. Especially, past 50mm. Image quality or focus does not seem to be affected. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a DIY repair, or ?? Appreciate any input.

Gerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Some 'wobble' is always there, it largely depends on what you call 'considerable'. It may be easily tightened up with a good service by a competent engineer. Servicing an AF lens without the correct training or tools may leave you with a lens that doesn't focus with AF or the focus is 'out' or both

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would leave it unless it gets worse. Most of the plasticky zoom Nikkors of late are like this, including the 24-85 G, and all the 18-xx DX zooms. They break easily, but as long as you pamper them, they'll be okay. The 28-105 is better than most, though. It is a lens I use very often, and I have a high regard for its overall performance. If yours eventually moves into the Great Circle of Confusion, so to speak, then a replacement should be around $200, which is a lot less than the lens is worth in actual use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin