Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 951

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Box end flap holder for camera

Back in the day before DX encoded film cartridges and autofocus cameras the back cover of many 35mm cameras had a slotted holder into which you could slide the end flap of a film box so you had a ready identification of the film currently loaded in the camera. Does anyone know of any similar item which which can be mounted to the back of a camera that did not come with one installed?

TIA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I fold the box end in four and place it in the accessory shoe.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once those flap-holders were available as self-adhesive accessories. But you could make such yourself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    I fold the box end in four and place it in the accessory shoe.
    Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. Although one of my desires is the ability to quickly identify between two identical bodies loaded with different film and the slide holder on the back would be quicker for that purpose, still your method is a great solution. And it has the virtue of being free and eliminates the possibility of mucking up the surface of the camera with adhesive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LDMartin1959 View Post
    Back in the day before DX encoded film cartridges and autofocus cameras the back cover of many 35mm cameras had a slotted holder into which you could slide the end flap of a film box so you had a ready identification of the film currently loaded in the camera. Does anyone know of any similar item which which can be mounted to the back of a camera that did not come with one installed?

TIA.
    They were for sale, back in the 70s and 80s.
    I put a piece of masking tape on the baseplate and write the film type and E.I. with a Sharpie. Masking tape peels off cleanly, as long as you don't leave it there for a year or two.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Once those flap-holders were available as self-adhesive accessories. But you could make such yourself.
    Make one? Ha. Proof that you don't know me. If it weren't for my fingers I'd be all thumbs! All seriousness aside though, are you talking about making one out of metal, or plastic, or [insert unknown material here]. And if one could still find one of the self-adhesive accessories somewhere, what were they called and who might be likely to carry them? I ask that only because I am really lousy at searching for things 'cuz I tend to pick the wrong terms so I figure I'd probably pick the wrong terms/name in trying to search for those as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    They were for sale, back in the 70s and 80s.
    I put a piece of masking tape on the baseplate and write the film type and E.I. with a Sharpie. Masking tape peels off cleanly, as long as you don't leave it there for a year or two.
    Hmmm. Another worthy idea. And if I used painters tape (which is supposedly even less sticky than masking tape) it should be even less of a problem.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One could make them from plastic or metal U-profiles. Better though seems making two U-frames from plastic sheet of the thickness of the flap. One with inner size the same as the flap and a second one with same outer size as the first frame, but smaller opening. Both are glued together. The first frame is stuck with doublesided adhesive tape to back of camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    One could make them from plastic or metal U-profiles. Better though seems making two U-frames from plastic sheet of the thickness of the flap. One with inner size the same as the flap and a second one with same outer size as the first frame, but smaller opening. Both are glued together. The first frame is stuck with doublesided adhesive tape to back of camera.
    Sounds like it may be beyond my skills but I will keep it in mind as an option. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LDMartin1959 View Post
    Hmmm. Another worthy idea. And if I used painters tape (which is supposedly even less sticky than masking tape) it should be even less of a problem.
    If your cameras are chrome finish, you can write with a Sharpie wherever there's room on the camera, Sharpie ink wipes right off with a bit of acetone or isopropyl.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin