Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,716   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon Manual Focus Lens Question

Hello,

I am interesting in buying some Nikon manual focus lenses, focal lengths of 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, and perhaps 35mm. I haven't decided which versions to get (f/2 or f/2.8 where applicable) but I want ones that come with the close focusing system (CRC?) if they were made with that.

Problem is, I dont know how to identify which lens should have this. I am in Shanghai China, and buying at 2nd hand stores where there is virtually no English. Can anyone give me pointers as to how I might identify which version of these lenses that I might come across?

Also, can I assume that if they have the rabbit ears clip on them, that they are AIS lenses?

Thank you for any tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When looking for Nikon info, the Mir site is probably the best hands down. It has a ton of information along with clear images that covers pretty much everything.

I have the 24mm and 28mm f2 ais lenses and both have the crc which focuses down to 1 ft. I think the easiest way is to look at the lens barrel and if you see the marking for 1ft then it is most likely crc. I have never shot with the 20mm, it is pricey and I think it doesnt pop up as much (the mf version, there are lots of the plastic af version). I had the 35mm 1.4 ais and it also had the crc.

here is a link to the site to get you started:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...wides/20mm.htm
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 05-24-2013 at 02:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 20mm/F2.8 also has the compensation with moving elements and it is a cracker. As the other poster said it is pricy though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will find all the info about which lenses have CRC and not here
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All the 24mm, the 28mm f/2.8 Ais, the 20mm 2.8 all versions, all the 28mm f/2's, and only the 35mm f/1.4. Only the 28's have front CRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no, you can NOT assume that if they have the rabbit ears that they are AIS or even AI, Quite the opposite. All early non-AI lenses have them, some later AIS lenses do not.

An AI lens has the lens openings -- 2 2.8 4 5.6 etc) written in very tiny letters along the back edge of the lens mount so they show through a little window in the viewfinder. AIS has them as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    no, you can NOT assume that if they have the rabbit ears that they are AIS or even AI, Quite the opposite. All early non-AI lenses have them, some later AIS lenses do not.

An AI lens has the lens openings -- 2 2.8 4 5.6 etc) written in very tiny letters along the back edge of the lens mount so they show through a little window in the viewfinder. AIS has them as well.
    There's also a step cut in the rear of the aperture ring on AI/AIS (also earlier lenses which have been adapted or converted) lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was just trying to figure this one out last night... Although there is no clear cut way to find out... the easiest way is

for 28mm

1)... if it has 2 two sets of aperture numbers one small one big.. then it either it is AI or was a non-AI and has been factory AI-d (automatic indexing).
    2) not all 28mm have CRC... my lens is an AI and is does not have CRC... it does focus to 1ft.. according to MIR it does NOT have CRC, but it is pretty sharp (i'm using it on digital though, dx and haven't seen corners on film)
    3) from what i found the AI-s (or AI-S) version does have CRC...
    4) The way you can tell it is AI-S, is it has a half-round cut on the bayonet mount... < MOST LIKELY TO HELP YOU FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, after this is autofocus.

stay away form series e... maybe my copy, but the 28mm really sucks (plain and simple), and does not have crc.

kenny seems to have the best info on this or at least the most outright

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#ais

according to mir... AI, no where on the page for 28mm does it mention CRC, then came series e, then AI-s with first introduction of CRC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    stay away form series e... maybe my copy, but the 28mm really sucks (plain and simple), and does not have crc.
    I know we're talking wides here, but... the 100mm 2.8 Series E is pretty glorious. I've heard some dislike it so some examples may have aged less well. But it's an amazing lens for people (and is just gorgeous using DSLR cameras for video - magical in that regard). They used to be crazy cheap, but filmmakers are getting wise to 'em. (You'd be surprised how many TV spots, etc. are shot with older Nikon primes using lens adapters).

I have the 28mm E as well - it tested better than aftermarkets in that range, but I only use it for video gigs - it is my primary prime for DSLR video though, and in that application it's a very nice looking image, usually shooting from 2.8 to F4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin