Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,299   Online: 787

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    What's a DSLR?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flajcsi View Post
    Hi. I know it's an ugly question, but I need some experienced thoughts about my next purchase.
    Currently I own a Zenit TTL 35 mm camera with a Helios 44M lens.
    I think any from the list you quote would be great.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    flajcsi,

Find each of the camera models and hold them. How does each on feel? Is this one too large for my hands? Is that one too small for my hands. How does it feel to make settings, focus, fire the shutter and advance the film. Those questions will tell you more about which camera is best for you than any posts on the internet. A camera is a very personal tool, so get personal with each model before you invest in one.

This only comes from years selling cameras.

Siriusly!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F-1 is a good choice. Very durable and the FD lenses are reasonable. Check out KEH used cameras.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the cameras you listed will work fine, assuming you can locate a good example in your price range. Most of the responses will be biased somewhat by brand loyalty and by what people have used off that list.

I do think that the suggestion to find some examples and handle them before you make your choice is a good one. Nikon makes great cameras but I personally have never been able to warm to Nikon because I do not like them as well as Pentax when I work with them.

After handling them the other thing you need to think about is lens selection. Every single one of the ones you listed make a good normal lens. But after that there will certainly be differences. What types of pictures do you like to take and what field of view do you like? Check the lens reviews for those you may be partial to and get some idea of how well they do their job, ergonomically as well as optically. By that time you will have narrowed things down to where you can probably make an informed choice that you won't regret later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon FM2n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    What's a DSLR?
    Something not discussd here

However some of us have to use them, and so I think it's perhaps relevant to think/choose to have cross compatibility. I wish I had but . . . . . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Weight and size not a problem you say? Then leave 35mm behind and go medium format. I bet you could put together a nice Bronica ETRS system in that price range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've owned or still own seven of those in that list. They are all terrific, and throwing RF in with SLR in with high-end interchangeable RF AF like the G2, its just too wide a range of experiences and features to recommend one over the other easily. Heck I'd have a hard time choosing or recommend between the RTSIII amd the Nikons. That said if I asolutely had to get rid of them all and could keep only 1 body and 1 lens the Contax G2 with the 45 Planar would be it. If I could keep a whole system then the Nikon F2 with old 60's glass would be my choice.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    How important are:
    1. Aperture priority auto exposure
    2. Battery dependance
    3. Viewfinder options
    4. Lens cost/selection

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin